Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strange and funny phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.
crashsite said:
An entire text book could be written on that subject so, trying to distill it down to the basics makes it all sound trite. But, hell...I don't mind being a bit trite.

Jobs and Wosniak, not Gates, should have been the richest men on earth. But, they had the wrong attitude (which I call the "Apple Attitude"). They were the first with a practical, desktop computer and they started out right by dumping them into the schools. But, the boys had (still do) a mentality that this was their baby and they pretty much closed off Apple to 3rd party development.

IBM/Microsoft, on the other hand, opened the PC platform and encouraged software development. Result: If you're a MAC affectionado you compute the way Apple decided you'd compute (less so now but, the attitude still does prevail and you even still see it pretty strongly in their ads). Meanwhile the PC crowd was/is using all sorts of commercial, sharware and freeware programs.

So, there's a basic difference between PC and MAC thinking. I liken the MAC crowd to hippies and their VWs. Yeah, the VW has its charm and a "personality" that meshed well with their owners and there are still Deadheads driving around in their bugs and busses. But, it's more of a niche mentality...like Apples and their owners.

MAC users have a version of the Apple attitude and tend to get very defensive about their choice of computer. PC users just don't have that attitude because they don't have the emotional attachment to their computers that the MAC types do.

I'm not saying that Apples are bad computers any more than VWs are bad cars. I used to own a bug myself at one time...loved to drive it. I've never owned an Apple and, frankly, would not want to be tied down to what I consider its limitations (the exact things which I'm sure you would consider to be its strengths). Sure, MACs can run PC applications (a persistent brag) where PCs (for the most part) can't run Apple apps (for two reasons...Apple wont allow it and PC users have so many options they neither need or want to).

Anyway, to wrap it up (the short, rather trite version), MAC people (bless your devoted hearts) are indeed funny.

BTW: Glad you posted the photo of the "stylish" Mac display. It's a gentle reminder of the styling of the Ericofon of the 1950s. One almost expects to see some cheesy, gold-tone rabbit ears to automatically extend from the darn thing when it's powered up.

**broken link removed**

Geez, I'm not going to start a mac debate, just finished one with my cousin,
but, I will say, viruses, drivers, Add/Remove programs, general idea of combining gui and mouse stolen, oh, and what kind of computer burned up in the middle of a conference? yep, PC. The only reason I'm using a pc is for Micro-controllers, end of story, Macs are better. iLife, Boot-camp, runs faster than PCs in general, even with the same clock speed+ram, drives pop up on the desktop without My Computer.

Funnier and Funnier

wmmullaney said:
Geez, I'm not going to start a mac debate...

I never said that I think MAC is a bad computer and, if you're satisfied doing only Apple stuff the Apple way or PC stuff on the MAC platform...more power to you. But, somewhere along the way you might ask yourself the burning question..."why am I, like pretty much all my MAC compadres, so darned defensive about my choice of computer?". Usually, such defensiveness is a sign of compensating for some inadequacy (real or perceived) and that applies to all facets of life, not just computer choices.

It's interesting. Even the guy that portrays the MAC, in the current spate of TV ads, displays the "attitude"...and he's not even really a MAC...he's just an actor hired by the ad agency!!! Yet another corollary to support the, "MAC people are funny" statement.

Guys... it's not direct intefererence, such interference is not acceptable for most known brands. My Philips 17PT136B i got in my room..although old model serves me just fine 12 years now... i'm sure that the damaged cable that goes to the antenna was the problem.

The cable was fixed right away after i created this topic and everything is fine now... oh! i also have a video showing the intereference and also the sound is loud and clear while i scroll
a web page.

Btw look what i found! :D

http://www.erikyyy.de/tempest/

unfortunately few days ago i have changed my monitor to a TFT one and i can't test it.

P.S i got it compiled for Ubuntu linux if someone can't make it work.

Of course the Commodore Amiga was the best just marketed very badly. Same CPU as Macs just better OS. Mice came from Xerox, and were really just an upside down trackball(60's??). The amigas could generate a TV picture if all the sheilding was pulled off.
My sister was a MAC slave until the day she found that PCs were so much cheaper and did ,mainly, the same job. She went to use the PC skills to get a job in IT and now earns$$$$$ really big $ from that experience.

crashsite said:
I never said that I think MAC is a bad computer and, if you're satisfied doing only Apple stuff the Apple way or PC stuff on the MAC platform...more power to you. But, somewhere along the way you might ask yourself the burning question..."why am I, like pretty much all my MAC compadres, so darned defensive about my choice of computer?". Usually, such defensiveness is a sign of compensating for some inadequacy (real or perceived) and that applies to all facets of life, not just computer choices.

It's interesting. Even the guy that portrays the MAC, in the current spate of TV ads, displays the "attitude"...and he's not even really a MAC...he's just an actor hired by the ad agency!!! Yet another corollary to support the, "MAC people are funny" statement.

I am not so defensive, I just say it's an all around better computer. Just one more thing, I discovered yesturday that to get more than 256 colors in xp, you have to download a driver, more wasted time. Plus an 800mhz pc locked up when downloading picture from a 10 year old camera . My 800mhz mac with LESS ram downloaded 4 mp pictures from a new camera with a new app at about a pic per second. They run faster, look better, and support more colors, just to name a few!

Do you expect a mac to come walking up and debate a pc?

Why did you not come up with an answer about the burning pc Q?

I discovered yesturday that to get more than 256 colors in xp, you have to download a driver,

You need to do more research !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, the zeal of the smitten....

wmmullaney said:
I am not so defensive...

No? "Why are Mac fans funny?????", "I don't see no shiny case!!!!"......

I don't know where you're buying your PCs but, they've supported at least 16-bit color since Win 3.1 days (although, due to the cost of memory in days of youre, low-end video cards only supported 8-bit color). But, that wasn't a limitation of the computer or operating system, only the graphics card. As I recall, the early MACs of the era had that little built-in monochrome display.

I've never downloaded a driver for colors, for any PC operating system (and, I've used PCs from the DOS-based 286 AT on), so, I'm somewhat mystified at your color experience. By the time PCs were approaching a 1 Gig clock, most were "high color" capable right from the motherboard.

I'm not sure what the "burning PC question" might be since PC users don't have the "attitude" that makes one necessary. We pretty much accept the PC, OS and available software as what we have to work with and praise or complain about it depending on how it all works (or doesn't). It's certainly not a perfect system but, for the most part not so flawed that we want to dash off and buy something else.

Your "locking up" problem may be related to the way your PC is configured. I can't say that PCs never lock up but, it's not a common occurance. Maybe whoever put an 8-bit graphics capability in your PC was incompetent about configuring other aspects of the computer as well?

Guys if you continue getting offtopic i'll ask from a moderator to delete your posts....although i should have done it already...

this topic is not about PCs vs MAC... :mad:

In the early 90s we got a Trident SVGA card for our 386, it could do 24-bit colour at 640x480, 16-bit colour at 800x600 and 1024x768 8-bit colour. The only problem with the higher colour and resolution modes was that it made it really slow. Most of the time I just kept the mode the 8-bit 800x600 it the speed was just about acceptable and the resolution was good enough for most aplications.

40 Lashes

wmmullaney said:
Sorry, Crashite's fault.

Yes, my fault...for getting off topic (not for being a funny MAC user). Yes, heroXX, I had a similar Trident card and did similar to you.

But, I will make this "editorial comment", whiz115: When I was a lad and tried to look something up in the dictionary or encyclopedia, I usually got sidetracked by all the extraneous info and often would forget just what it was that I was looking up in the first place. Frankly, that's how I got so darned smart because I still do the same thing with the internet. For example, I wouldn't have known about the slick little PIC programming tutorial posted by Mr. MACman if we hadn't gotten off on the MAC/PC tangent. A secondary comment I'd make about this is the "lifetime" of a post. Typically, a post will get a lot of action in just the first few days and then, as it gets deeper into the stack, while still available, is a LOT less likely to be accessed (except by people actively posting to the thread...incljuding errent shunts) and thus, for older posts, I think the fidelity of topic issue becomes less important with time. But, the benefits of going off on those tangents are a gold mine of additional info. And, after all...ultimately, isn't that what this site is all about?

Last edited:
Yeah, and why should whiz115 care? Does this somehow impact his ability to make a living?
I agree with crashsite. I don't think of forum threads as meetings, where the title is the agenda. I think the "stream of consciousness" model is generally acceptable, except where the thread is being hijacked or otherwise subverted while the original subject is still obviously being discussed.

People... my expiriance from internet and forums says that when you make irrelevant replies on topics you just make it unreadable for someone who
wants to find specific informations. Forums are electronic books and as the books have inventory and page number, kinda the same goes for a forum too...

ofc not all forums have the same rules! probably such rules does not exist on this forum, because the moderator's team left the thread almost as is.

So i apologise for my complaints and you can continue peacefully! :)

@crashsite i kinda agree with you but........ :rolleyes: my expriance says others things! and believe me! i didn't discovered computers this afternoon! :D i hear you guys talking about mac and PCs and i'm dealing with them since the existance of 8088 processor, first time i got online i had a 2400kbps PSTN modem and only BBS (bulletin board system) existed that period! i could take a place on that but this thread wasn't created for that.

2400kbps? Wow, that's still a pretty fast connection! You almost have to do microwave or cable to get 2.4mbps even today. Sorry, but my first computer modem was 300 baud and I've used 110 baud with a Teletype ASR-33. Actually, in a way I rather prefer the "old" systems since you actually had to deal with them as electronic devices and not as partners in conversation (requiring you to speak their language). Which, of course, tends to initiate another shunt veering off this topic.

crashsite said:
2400kbps? Wow, that's still a pretty fast connection! You almost have to do microwave or cable to get 2.4mbps even today. Sorry, but my first computer modem was 300 baud and I've used 110 baud with a Teletype ASR-33. Actually, in a way I rather prefer the "old" systems since you actually had to deal with them as electronic devices and not as partners in conversation (requiring you to speak their language). Which, of course, tends to initiate another shunt veering off this topic.

8088 at 4.77MHz processor and 2400kbps modem don't fit, i'm pretty sure that you understood what i meant..but you want to comment it anyway..huh? :D

well 300 baud in greece...:rolleyes: i don't remember it, the lower i knew and it was sold it was 1200 that could fall back to 300! :p

wmmullaney said:
Hey whiz115, now YOU are off topic, can I finish my Mac talk?

do whatever you like man...don't ask me! read few posts above and you'll see that i apologized for gettin annoyed.

dknguyen said:
THat's cause you're too distracted by your MAC's shiny shiny case and monitor to notice :D
I can hear my Macbook when I scroll, even with volume off on battery. I'm guessing its feeding through the backlight inverter; seems kinda loud in a quiet room.

Plus, I was never one of those Mac people that just said "It works, I don't need to know anything else." I've done everything from program on the Mac to reflashing video card ROMs from PC to Mac. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back