Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

step down transformer rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCW

Hello,

I am in the passions of making my own step down transformer. I want to make it from scratch, I know ...crazy. At any rate, I am aiming to use it in a welder, which I also plan to make from scrath. My question, and I hope I can get some advice, is this, can I simply use a thick iron bar as the core? Meaning I would wind the primary coil at one end of the bar and the secondary coil at the other (actually so they almost meet in the middle). Would this actually work?

The core of a transformer is a continuous circle (or a square), not a rod.
The core of a transformer is laminated and the laminations are insulated from each other to prevent eddy currents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back