Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stand alone UART

Status
Not open for further replies.

ananth85

I need to use a stand alone UART to transmit 16 bit of data to another UART via RF.But i am nt sure how to transmit as the UART IC has only 8 data bus,my another 8 bits is left floating.D0 to D7.

Set your 16 bits to only send 8 bits at a time. Limit your CPU or whatever to byte mode.
This post sounds familiar.

The simple answer is you can't.
You can if you rework the circuit though, you'd have to feed the bytes into the uart one at a time with some kind of external logic or data controller.

You can set your Up to send in byte mode with no rework.

maybe a hardware uart and a software uart each sending a byte. and then on the receiver side, combine them to get your 16bits. Though not truly sending 16bits, im sure its faster than sending 2 seperate streams of data, and I believe the hardware uart runs in the background...could be mistaken...and its just a thought

LOL! Finally, someone noticed.
Same question, not even worded differently. He probably wants someone to do all the dirty work and write out the code.

Which might even be an option if anyone had a clue what devices he was using.
Because from this post I sure don't. I've not seen these other posts though.

Once again I assumed the original poster had a clue before I responded =) Typical mistake. If I did that for posters like you Nigel, I'd be reading for several months. You have a clue though =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back