Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sonar/IR for Underwater Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr8wayn

I am involved in a project at school making an underwater vehicle. We would like to add Sonar or Infrared to the robot so that it can be controlled autonomously. Our current attempts to reverse engineer the sonar from fish finders has been unsuccessful. Ultimately we would like to be able to detect objects and tell how far they are away from the robot. Does anybody have any tips? schematics? information? that would help. I'm not even sure if IR would work underwater. Thanks for your help.

-Wayne

gr8wayn said:
I am involved in a project at school making an underwater vehicle. We would like to add Sonar or Infrared to the robot so that it can be controlled autonomously. Our current attempts to reverse engineer the sonar from fish finders has been unsuccessful. Ultimately we would like to be able to detect objects and tell how far they are away from the robot. Does anybody have any tips? schematics? information? that would help. I'm not even sure if IR would work underwater. Thanks for your help.

-Wayne

As far as Sonar, have you checked with the Navy, they should have a few suggestions :p

Sorry couldn't help myself, I have no experience with underwater sonar or IR but I'm sure someone here will be able to give you something.

Lefty

gr8wayn said:

-Wayne

hi Wayne,
Try to locate a LM1812 acoustic transceiver, The datasheet.pdf is still at
www.datasheetarchive.com

With this chip you are 90% on your way with the acoustics side of your project.
Choose a frequency of 150KHz [standard for small boats] or a 200KHz transducer.
The 150KHz yacht types are about 2 inch in dia and you can drive them upto about 50/100Watts [pulsed of course], this will give a underwater range of upto 80 metres. You can buy them from a yacht Chandlers.

Ref IR many companies have tried this method, but I havn't a seen a production version???
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back