Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some general info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooger

Hi everybody, i'm new to this stuff (although I've been a student for 3 years lol.. about time to get involved, eh?), and since the summer's approaching I'm going to have some free time to explore the hobby side of electronics.. Anyways I'd like to know what equipment I need to do some circuit design (analog and digital), and more importantly, where to get it at a reasonable (i.e. really really cheap) price. In the labs the university has digital oscilloscopes, function generators, power supplies, etc, and I'd like to get a similar (albeit stripped down) version at home.

If someone would be so kind as to list the equipment and tools needed to get into this hobby, it would be much appreciated, as well as where one could purchase the stuff online or through private sale.

Thanks in advance.

A 3rd yr EE student, son of some friends, visited for the weekend and he brought his Global Specialties 505 - nice - $400 or so US. There are simpler versions of this, I think, available from others - Jameco might be one, try MCM Electronics - $200 US as I recall. I have built poor man's versions of these by purchasing the breadboards and adding my own power supplies. Hamfests - ham radio conventions if you will, are good places to find these things. End of May or early June is Rochester hamfest, Dayton, Ohio is mid-May. I am sure there are some near you.

You will need a multimeter, signal generator and variable voltage power supply. An oscilloscope is almost a necessity if you are going to so any serious work. Inexpensive digital multimeters are easy to find, I also keep a $10 Radio Shack analog meter because sometimes I want to load the circuit, and it will measure diodes, where the digital meter will not unless it has a diode function. Look for a Heathkit or Eico signal generator, they are cheap but good enuf to start.

Power supply

Don't get too ate up with needing a variable voltage power supply. Even though it sounds like it's necessary, I think you'll find that 99% of your needs will be satisfied with simpler +5v, +12v, -12v fixed supplies. Some folks even go so far as to insist that their variable supplies go all the way down to 0 volts, again a feature not often needed.

Dean

Thanks

Your help is much appreciated. I am courious though about e-bay. I have yet to purchase something online and am wondering if anyone here has found it to be a reliable source of electronics equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back