Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solid State version of SPDT Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grizzle;
I for one would LOVE to provide you with helpful advice.... and trust me more than one would also help.
However, your requirements are a little vague and confusing.

I'm enclosing a small schematic showing what I am guesssing you require. One is for a ground referred load (N-chann fet), the other for a battery referred load (P-chan fet).

Of course, the actual fet part number will depend on the the actual maximum voltage and current required

Thank you very much! The only consideration as to current and voltage is the isolation between the normally-open and normally-closed contacts, as if isolation between them breaks down, one would have a dead short between the poles of a battery or battery pack. There simply is no current flow or complete circuit. What I am looking to do is to connect one pole of a battery or battery pack to an output, only one at a time, and then the other, and to alternate between the two with some kind of variable oscillator, such as an led flasher circuit or alternating led flasher circuit to control the rate.
As it is, what I am using is a AA battery-powered clock motor and an analog SPDT switch with a long lever (the clock hands have been replaced by a thin aluminum disc cam with cutouts) to achieve the same effects. However, the manufacture of these is a time-consuming process which requires skills, both of which conditions will impede the spread of the idea. I want to make something that the 10-year-old electronics hobbyist can throw together on a circuit boad in a few hours.
Again, thanks for your time.

Last edited:
All right let's start from the beginning.

Please post a schematic showing the position of the switch in the rest of the circuit.

Do you just want to switch a small signal?

That's what analogue switches are fore e.g. CD4066 but it's only useful for <18V and very low currents <1mA.

All right let's start from the beginning.

Please post a schematic showing the position of the switch in the rest of the circuit.

Do you just want to switch a small signal?

That's what analogue switches are fore e.g. CD4066 but it's only useful for <18V and very low currents <1mA.

I groan at this but I guess I will have to get around to it eventually. Without going into it too deeply, the "signal" is virtual. The only consideration as to current and voltage is the isolation between the NO and NC contacts on the solid-state SPDT relay or whatever. Thereby to avoid a dead short. The positive and negative poles of the battery are connected to the NO and NC contacts of the SPDT switch.

This is the important parts. I am hoping for a variable frequency of one cycle per minute to up to 1 MHz. But one cycle per 10 seconds up to 50 KHz would be acceptable.
The primary considerations are:
1. Economy of parts by number.
2. Economy of parts cost.
3. NO to NC contacts will isolate described "load" so as not to form a dead short.
4. less than 1 ohm DC resistance between connected contacts (NO and common when closed, or NC and common when closed). Prefereable less than 0.5 ohms DC resistance.
5. Low current drain so device can run for days at a time over a long period without battery change.

People have suggested I use TTL or CMOS, but this is beyond my knowledge in the area. I can follow a schematic.

Attachments

• Infraction..GIF
    Infraction..GIF
    33.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I thought you were going to post a schematic a couple of days ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back