Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so... I can still get a JD for £25 easy..

And that isn't expensive?.

Not last Christmas, the one before, we went to the German Xmas Market in Birmingham (on a coach trip) and took our daughter and husband who were over here, and live in the Netherlands near the German border with us.

They were horrified at the prices been charged over here for the German drinks they commonly buy over there (often popping in to Germany to buy beer etc.), but to be fair most of the huge price increase will be British taxation, and presumably that will also affect American booze imports?.

So how much does it cost in the USA?, although I believe they tax drink fairly highly, don't they?.

A case of beer - 24 x 12 oz bottles is 35 to $55 depending on quality of beer and alcohol content.

PA is $24 for 750ml of Jack Daniels old #7 or Johnnie Walker Red Label.

Jim Beam 80 Bourbon is $17 for 750ml.

Looks fairly similar to over here really - too expensive - loads of tax.

I mentioned my daughter going to Germany to buy beer, small bottles of lager start at about 18pence (£0.18) - now that's what you want!.

I think I'll go and have some Merlot now, seeing as it's ny birthday, and my daughter sent me a box of wine (bought and delivered from the UK though).

It's certainly been informative - thanks, everyone!

Ohh Oh look what I found:

Super Solder!

Nice to see Maplin haven't completely disappeared. Back to mail order only?

I find they also sell Duratool - so it's not a CPC-only brand at all.

Sorry for my slow reply on this. Here's a picture of the crap solder, and the label I wrote on the back in case there's any doubt about it, along with the Kester 44 which is beautiful.

Please feel free to resume the off-topic chatter. Pardon the interruption. ;)

20200617_234607_copy_600x572.jpg

20200617_234629_copy_600x636.jpg

20200617_231408_copy_600x800.jpg

Interesting - the (not crap) Jinhu solder I've been using is also marked CF-10 and calls itself "model B-1" even though it's 60/40. I wonder If I was just lucky with my batch? OTOH, a quick search for NIU or NIV solder gets me nothing relevant.
And Kester even comes in a cardboard case, I see!

Interesting - the (not crap) Jinhu solder I've been using is also marked CF-10 and calls itself "model B-1" even though it's 60/40. I wonder If I was just lucky with my batch?

The problem with stuff from China is that you never know what you're getting, and it's very common that the supplier will cut corners for extra profit and send out complete rubbish.

To be fair, it's not just China either!.

Back in the days when Sharp made TV's they had a manufacturing plant in Spain, and they had huge problems with LOPTX failures, to the extent that faulty samples were sent back to Sharp Japan to be investigated. The investigation showed that the transformers didn;'t meet the specification, which is why they were failing - so contacted the manufacturer about them supplying sub-standard components that didn't meet the spec.

The manufacturer replied that the LOPTX's fully met the new revised specification they had been supplied, and provided proof of the specification change. The guy who ran the Spanish factory had lowered the specification to a cheaper transformer, and had pocketed the difference.

I suspect it's probably a similar situation in China, just a lot more prevelent over there.

I have a reel of Dmiotech SN63 Pb 37 Flux 1.8% 0.4mm (China) and of Weller SN60 Pb39 Cu 1,(Germany) this gives a nice a shiny joint , but is 1 mm , prefer smaller I went to order some 0.7mm / 22swg 60/40 from Rapid electronics along with some other goodies, I have had some from Rapid before and good results . I was informed, just as i clicked 'buy' it is only for their account customers ? , so they lost a nice order ! , now ordered bits from elsewhere ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back