Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this thread is about solder, how many of you prefer 63/37 instead of 60/40? I prefer 63/37.

Since this thread is about solder, how many of you prefer 63/37 instead of 60/40? I prefer 63/37.
The 63/37 tends to wick up he leads better and makes nice clean separation when pulling the solder tip away. THe 60/40 leaves nibs where the tip last made contact (unless you raise the iron temp). The eutectic is 63/37 and melts about 10°C lower than 60/40.

Git.... I have a TDS220... I bought it around 7 years ago.. £150.. I thought I got a bargain.
May I ask...Did you ever find a battery pack for it?

( Sorry Throb..... Casting the thread wide again....)

Shutting up now..
It was bare-bones, no probes/power lead, missing power button and a broken CH2 BNC, hence the price. Would have paid him 50 quid as-is.
Got it home and it passed the self test, so I set about getting it working.
Robbed the EXT TRIG BNC to fit on CH2 and made a power button, and sourced some probes.
Never looked for a battery pack.

I will pick some up at some point and see if I prefer it.
As gophert says, it might give cleaner looking joints, so that's a plus.

Both are good I kind of like The look of 63/37
It looks nice and bright.

Delta the Indian company who make PSU's? Some other Delta? Delta ice cream? (yum!)
(goes digging) deltasolder.com. Delta are Qualitek. Ok. But not expensive (i'm looking at 500g prices though!) compared to other brands.

I thought it kind high like 24 dollars for the roll I have but it last years maybe out last me.

I've never tried 63/37. Is my life incomplete?

That's the thing - it lasts such a long time you forget the cost - until next time. I suppose one big but rare pain is better than more frequent, lesser pains (which hurt more if you bought crap).

If he is dividing a kilo by 2.2, it seems pretty clear that what he meant to express was lbs.

Cheaper until you
If he is dividing a kilo by 2.2, it seems pretty clear that what he meant to express was lbs.
Like when I write you are a nice guy but I...?

MM you are right....
2.2lbs = 1 kilo, ergo 1lbs = @500g, ergo 1/2 lbs = @250g...

Mr scottle does the conversion twice.... $24 dollars per pound of solder.. = £19 half a pound will be about £8.50, which is cheap, but with shipping will be as dear..

Solder here is around £11 for 250g ( I get mine from RS ) 500g is also around £19 ~ £21 from the same place

Last edited:
That's the thing - it lasts such a long time you forget the cost - until next time. I suppose one big but rare pain is better than more frequent, lesser pains (which hurt more if you bought crap).

Well I was always of the same mind, until I changed jobs - now, as we do small scale production, we get through quite a lot :D

In fact working from home during lockdown, I'm now on my second 500g reel.

I did my sums wrong, didn't I?
I was trying to get GBP per lb, I think. But Jim Beam had me...

I was trying to get GBP per lb, I think. But Jim Beam had me...
How far are you?? Can I come round? Gotta love a bit O' Jim Beam... I haven't had a bottle of that for a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back