Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have to ask that question I think you need to learn some basic electrical knowledge before working with high voltages and the availability of high currents. Start off learning using batteries and small bulbs until you fully understand about measuring voltage and current.

Les.

Welcome to ETO!
Messing with AC sockets can be LETHAL. Don't do it. Just assume the socket can deliver whatever current the circuit-breaker label says.

Plug a light or a heater into it. If either works properly then its supplying adequate current.

There could be a bit of semantic differential, otherwise known as bad terminology going on here.

Given the OPs obvious lack of knowledge and experience in this area, could it be that the expression "testing a a.c. socket for current" really means "testing that it is live", ie that there is voltage available at the socket.
The word "current" is often used as a laymans term to describe any electrical characteristic.

With that thought in mind I say "If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it".

Plug a light or a heater into it. If either works properly then its supplying adequate current
I fully agree with this, a safe and easy test.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back