Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MX Header Pin Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACharnley

I've a board which has to clear a 1mm depth housing and then provide a connector at a right angle out. So far I've found these types which look promising to fit the available form factor.

They tend to go by MX or PH codes. Although technically it doesn't clear the 1mm spacing I could bend the pins a little and mount at an angle with a spacer under the body.

I have not however found the female equivalent. Female pin headers are aplenty but this type has a little notch which provides a basic securing mechanism.

There's probably a name I'm not searching for, could anyone provide a heads up on what it is?

I've always associated Molex with the larger connectors especially those used in ATX systems.

They also do the above connectors but like others it's just termed 'friction lock'. I wonder if its enough to use standard 2.54mm female headers, which the pins slot into and which does technically have a notch on one side where the hump could engage.

Well, I use them quite often, and I can say that at times they are quite obstinate at releasing ! Notice the shoulder on the female housing that sits under the 'notch' you mention .. ..

1602333560029.png

MM

At that's a different female housing to the one I had in mind and looks a bit too secure. I need something that pulls out relatively easy. Not quite as easy as a basic 2.54 header pin however!

Well, if you insert a small screwdriver, or I use tweezers, in the gap they pull out easy enough .. .. .

I've got to assume the user will accidentally pull the cable with absolute force and on doing so the PCB will survive. Clearing the 1mm at a right angle is posing a problem as right-angled connectors seem to be designed for a panel rather than just being elevated up a bit.

Well, I would have thought these ideal. If you pull the cable hard the joint will split open without damaging the PCB .. .. .. .. ..

A right able pin header that has, essentially 2mm+ of clearance and must have a detent and you expect the user Regularly pull the cable-mounted female connector hard enough to release the detent is a crazy design. The solder joints on your male header pins will crack via metal fatigue.

I never said regular. Once in a blue moon at most, but when it happens it needs to survive.

And 1mm of clearance will do it. The female housing may touch/scrape the body but there'll be enough flex to manage.

And 1mm of clearance will do it. The female housing may touch/scrape the body but there'll be enough flex to manage.

I understood you'd need 1mm of housing thickness PLUS 1.125 mm of bottom edge of female connector to bottom edge of pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back