Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Socket DIL inquiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhammad89

hi there

Is it important to use the Sockets pins to hold a kind of IC chips on a board, what is the purpose of using them and what happens if the IC is soldered with no socket pins ?:eek:.

hi there

Is it important to use the Sockets pins to hold a kind of IC chips on a board, what is the purpose of using them and what happens if the IC is soldered with no socket pins ?:eek:.

Sockets make the IC removable. They can be used when you want to use a static or heat sensitive component and don't want the soldering iron near it. They are good for hobbyists, and on rare occasion used by manufacturers.

If the IC is soldered on the board without a socket it will be difficult to remove, that's all. :)

Sockets make the IC removable. They can be used when you want to use a static or heat sensitive component and don't want the soldering iron near it. They are good for hobbyists, and on rare occasion used by manufacturers.

If the IC is soldered on the board without a socket it will be difficult to remove, that's all. :)

my real thanks for the explanation

hi again

I have done a project of traffic lights that is basically depending on electrical Contactors,and electronic timers that are powered with 220v supply and I am really hoping to accomplish the same idea, however, want to use the thyristors instead of the Contactors, and low dc power timers that are near to be operated at 9, or 12 v dc instead of the 220v ac electronic timers.
And I want a suggetion of the type and serial number of he parts I need for the circuit as well as a brief explanation of how that is likely to be done.

thanks
Muhammad89

Do you mean triacs and not thyristors. Thyristors are used for detecting temperature changes.

althought I really meant thyristors, what you are talking about sounds new to me because for all I know that SCR Thyristors can be used as swtiches. So why are you saying Triacs instead of thyristors? that sounds like Thyristors is the wrong part for this application. And if talking about Triacs, they are to the most part 2 Thyristors, back to back, which provides a pulse in both instances the negative and the positive which can be exploited when want to get an output of an AC like pulse . what do you commnet on what I said ?

Do you mean triacs and not thyristors. Thyristors are used for detecting temperature changes.
No.
An SCR and a TRIAC are thyristors. Look in Google about it.

A thermistor is a resistor that changes its value when its temperature changes.

No.
An SCR and a TRIAC are thyristors. Look in Google about it.

A thermistor is a resistor that changes its value when its temperature changes.

So that backs up what i was saying that Thyristors can be used in a traffic lights circuit as switches with the aid of for example the NE555 timer chip

althought I really meant thyristors, what you are talking about sounds new to me because for all I know that SCR Thyristors can be used as swtiches. So why are you saying Triacs instead of thyristors? that sounds like Thyristors is the wrong part for this application. And if talking about Triacs, they are to the most part 2 Thyristors, back to back, which provides a pulse in both instances the negative and the positive which can be exploited when want to get an output of an AC like pulse . what do you commnet on what I said ?

Sorry about the brain fart. You are correct in your statement. You wrote thyristors, I read thermistors (even wrote thyrsistors). It feels like a Monday.:D

Sorry about the brain fart. You are correct in your statement. You wrote thyristors, I read thermistors (even wrote thyrsistors). It feels like a Monday.:D

hi again

now after you realized your mistake, do you think you can help with this application>? Do you have any suggestions ?
Muhammad89

Can you provide a schematic for your system that uses the contactors?
Please also include the load requirements for your traffic lights.

Last edited:
Can you provide a schematic for your system that uses the contactors?
Please also include the load requirements for your traffic lights.

okay Exp Rezer
I will try to get that on a Word file.Because I still have the schematic on rough paper. by the way, Do you know any free trail software for schematic electrical diagrams, you know, that contains the very basic symbols such as the timer, the push button as well as the contactor?

Muhammad89

okay Exp Rezer
I will try to get that on a Word file.Because I still have the schematic on rough paper. by the way, Do you know any free trail software for schematic electrical diagrams, you know, that contains the very basic symbols such as the timer, the push button as well as the contactor?

Muhammad89

You might try Express PCB. They are a quick turn pcb fab house. I believe theirs is free-ware.
Also, I have used MultiSim from National Instruments. You can download a trial version for 30 days (cost around $40.00 if you decide to purchase). There are tons of free CAD software out there also. Just google it.

Is this the traffic light circuit you are referring to at this thread?

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/a-problem-with-reading-a-circuit.41623/

HI again

This is a previously accomplished circuit that needs a kind of potentiometers numberes 7140 or something like so and I am determined to build up my own with the use of Thyristors as switches and if comes to crush will try to use the Ne555 timer chip to switch between the 3 colors of the traffic lights. you will surely uderstand this in much details when I send you the electrically operated traffic lights circuits which holds to the most part the same idea.

Muhammad1989

a thyristor is usually used in AC circuits. In a DC circuit it never turns off. In an AC circuit it turns off each time the voltage passes through 0V.

In a DC circuit the thyristor needs to have its current blocked for it to turn off. You can block its current by shorting it for a moment then it turns off.

Hi Muhammad89,

just to emphasize audioguru's statement about thyristors: They behave like a self-latching relay applying DC. Removing or inverting the gate voltage they still conduct.

I don't suggest usage of thyristors for that reason. You might power the traffic lights using appropriate transistors.

You will also have to remove the supply voltage and/or short the thyristor.

For schematic and PCB software you might also download Eagle at http://www.cadsoft.de. The light version is free with limitiations of the max. board size of 3.15X3.15" and one sheet in the schematic editor.

Boncuk

HI bonk Uk,

What if a timer is used in the circuit, such as 555 timer chip, that is just to keep the shorting of the thyristor to go automatically after a proper period of time and make the changing over between the three lights go smoothly?

If you must use a circuit to short the thyristors then the circuit can drive the LEDs and the thyristors are not needed.

If you must use a circuit to short the thyristors then the circuit can drive the LEDs and the thyristors are not needed.

In this kind of application I want to consider the usage of the Thyristor much than the Timer, how much do you think of the possibility of using the thyristors alone in such circuit ?

Muhammad89

The circuit is not in this thread.
A triac is used in an AC light dimmer. It turns itself off each half-cycle so it needs to be turned on again over and over if you want lights to remain on.
An SCR is half-wave so it lights light bulbs dimmly with AC. It turns itself off each cycle so it also needs to be turned on again over and over if you want lights to remain on.

An SCR is used in a DC alarm system. It stays turned on after it is triggered for a moment.

Transistoirs or Mosfets turn on DC traffic lights and are driven by a sequencer circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back