Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.54mm board to board socket housings dont exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi,
I have an SMPS PFC controller which is on a daughter board which is mounted vertically to the main SMPS board. It needs to be easily disconnected/reconnected. I need to bring signals (sense and FET drive etc) on to the daughter board from the main board.

As such I will solder one of these 2row connectors to the daughter board….
MC34769:
https://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mc34769/header-2-row-r-angle-10way/dp/1593451?ost=mc34769

The thing is, I cant find the socket housing which mates with this?...the bit that will be soldered on to the main board. I can only find this…
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/3148611.pdf
..which has no solder pins….or this..
https://uk.farnell.com/fischer-elektronik/mk201-100z/header-socket-2-54mm-100way/dp/1322596
..which is too shallow.

Could you advise on a suitable housing, or suggest another way?……(I am slightly against any solution which means having to buy an expensive crimp tool)

...these look great.

Do you think they will be OK passing sensitive current sense signals etc?....I worry that they may be a bit loose when connected?......and they will have to pass the 60khz gate drive signal (only the signal, the gate driver IC is on the main board).
I feel guilty that i am not soldering the daughter board connections, but i may have to tune feedback loop components on the daughter board, so need easy ON/OFF-ability

Last edited:
We use these; with shrouded headers to protect the pins. Those headers are straight but I believe they are also available in right angle style; just IDC headers as used for IDC ribbon plugs.

IDC_Headers.jpg

As long as the header pins are the proper dimensions (usually 0.7mm square) there is no reason they should behave any differently to such as IDC cables & headers that used the same pin & socket format.

The connected parts must have some other attachment though, for mechanical stability to prevent wear on the connectors. Out gear the ones in the photo are for uses parallel PCBs with three connectors, so the fitted arrangement is absolutely rigid; two of the six pin for grounding, location and stability and a 16 pin at the other side of the unit for the main signal connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back