Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a Problem with Reading a Circuit!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muhammad89

hi everyone
I am new to this chat and would like a helping hand from the experienced to help me out understand the what X CUT TRACK means in the circuit attached. I tried to connect the circuit exactly as it is wired but it didnt seem to work properly. All lights were on at the same time instead of functioning each one on its own to fulfill the purpose it is built for , as a traffic lights controlling circuit.
any help would be appreciated.
and this is the web where you can find the circuit meant.
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/projects/trafficlight.htm
thank you again,
Muhammad89

It's fairly self explanatory, it means to cut the copper track on the veroboard where each X is shown - it's easiest to use the proper track cutting tool, but a small twist drill can be used. The copper tracks are running horizontally by the way.

It's fairly self explanatory, it means to cut the copper track on the veroboard where each X is shown - it's easiest to use the proper track cutting tool, but a small twist drill can be used. The copper tracks are running horizontally by the way.

hi again
but i have no copper tracks in the place where the X sign is shown , that was the reason made me wonder what it meant , most especially when i made sure that I had connected the whole circuitery corectly, there were no good results. the circuits didnt work as it is supposed to. okay . I want now to ask about wether the direction of the capacitors on the right side of the bored is not right , because I cant recognise which side is the + and which is the -. what do you think
?

Muhammad, does your board have any copper tracks on it?

Solder pads?

As Nigel points out, the copper tracks on stripboard should be running left to right (or right to left) and your components are placed vertically. Look at the 555 and 4017....you can see that if you do not cut any of the tracks between the pins, you will have both sides of each IC connected together.

To stop both sides from being connected together, you must break (cut) the copper track at point X. The same applies for the potentiometer.

If your board has no copper, or has solder pads around each hole, you must connect each component lead on the same horizontal line, except where there is an X.

If this doesn't help, post a photo of your project.

Have a look at Nigel's website here:

and you will see that tracks have to be cut at the blue dots (same as X=cut track)

Muhammad, does your board have any copper tracks on it?

Solder pads?

As Nigel points out, the copper tracks on stripboard should be running left to right (or right to left) and your components are placed vertically. Look at the 555 and 4017....you can see that if you do not cut any of the tracks between the pins, you will have both sides of each IC connected together.

To stop both sides from being connected together, you must break (cut) the copper track at point X. The same applies for the potentiometer.

If your board has no copper, or has solder pads around each hole, you must connect each component lead on the same horizontal line, except where there is an X.

If this doesn't help, post a photo of your project.

Have a look at Nigel's website here:

and you will see that tracks have to be cut at the blue dots (same as X=cut track)

I think I got what you mean. anyway, I will reconnect the circuit anf feed you with the results.
Thank you for helping
Muhammad89

hi again
but i have no copper tracks in the place where the X sign is shown , that was the reason made me wonder what it meant , most especially when i made sure that I had connected the whole circuitery corectly, there were no good results. the circuits didnt work as it is supposed to. okay . I want now to ask about wether the direction of the capacitors on the right side of the bored is not right , because I cant recognise which side is the + and which is the -. what do you think
?

If the traces are running east-west, then the cap is oriented and connected properly to the 22KO resistor.
It would behoove you to double check your circuit wiring and connectivety. Verify all parts. Start with a hardcopy of your schematic and as you trace and verify your connections, highlight it on your schematic until finished.

Muhammad89,
If you don't know what stripboard is, then look here for an example of how to use it:
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/stripbd.htm
The traffic lights where I live don't work the way they do in the UK, so this project would look silly in Canada. Do the lights sequence the same way in Libya as the UK?

Muhammad89,
If you don't know what stripboard is, then look here for an example of how to use it:
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/stripbd.htm
The traffic lights where I live don't work the way they do in the UK, so this project would look silly in Canada. Do the lights sequence the same way in Libya as the UK?

Hi kchriste,

To be honest, I havent got the least idea about the way Traffic lights in Libya are operated in because that seems to be useless to try to know, anyway, would you please post me a diagram of how traffic lights are operated in your country?

Muhammad89

If you have a digital camera, please post a picture of the bottom of your board.

Hi Expo,

by the way, I am a student at the college Derby and will start on the 8th of sept this month on an HND electrical & Electronics engineering and i really want to have the honor to take advantage of your experience and if possible i want enroll on the electronics industry in Derby alongside with my study at the college. I wish you put this into consideration and help me out with it and I would be much grateful if you reply me soon.
Muhammad89

I am a student at the college Derby and will start on the 8th of sept this month on an HND electrical & Electronics engineering

If you want to succeed in the workplace I recommend you take a course in Game Theory or Political Science as soon as possible.
Knowing the technical stuff is only part of what it takes.
;)

I havent got the least idea about the way Traffic lights in Libya are operated in because that seems to be useless to try to know
It would really help you decide which way to sequence the lights and how to wire your project! :D
Muhammad89 said:
would you please post me a diagram of how traffic lights are operated in your country?
I don't have a circuit for you, but in my country & province only one color of light is on at any one time: Red Green Yellow, then repeat.

The UK traffic light sequence is:
Red
Red & Amber
Green
Amber
Red

That's how it works in Finland too. I loved that system.

Torben

The circuit can be modified pretty easilly to any sequence of up to 10 steps.

Hi Muhammad89, if you have the correct type of stripboard, then if you flip it over from left to right, you should have the track cuts as shown. You can use a small drill if you do not have the correct hand tool. Just be careful to count the holes (pitches) correctly before cutting. I have made so many mistakes in the past that I always double check before committing the cut :)
Cheers
Les

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back