Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small and easy RS232 converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,
I have a GPS15-W from garmin

**broken link removed**

The output is fed into a PIC, I want this same garmin output (it only has one) to be made avaliable externaly as standard RS232 interface, what is the smallest and easiest way to achive this?

My criteria is ideally single component and as small as possible, also fitting a external device to the interface cannot interfear with the internal GPS pulse (not that it I think it would)

Thx

Scarr said:
Hi,
I have a GPS15-W from garmin

**broken link removed**

The output is fed into a PIC, I want this same garmin output (it only has one) to be made avaliable externaly as standard RS232 interface, what is the smallest and easiest way to achive this?

My criteria is ideally single component and as small as possible, also fitting a external device to the interface cannot interfear with the internal GPS pulse (not that it I think it would)

Thx

I would have thought a MAX232 (5V to RS232 level converter) would be all that's required - I'm assuming that the serial output from the GPS is logic level and requires inverting (which is usually the case).

Just connect the gps output straight to the serial port, it is already at the proper voltage levels and such. You can also connect it to the pic as well in a parallel type connection. Supposedly you can have 4 listeners on a single nmea output, thats what the format is called. If you want to send from multiple sources like the pic and gps then you need to make a multiplexer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back