Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simple wireless switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob.zurasky

Hello everyone, I am having trouble finding any information on how to build a very simple wireless switch. I have seen the modules that can transmit serial data and I know these can be used as a simple on/off transmission as well, but size of the reciever must be as small as possible. 25mmx42mm is just too big for what Im working on. Range will only needs be about 6 feet or so and infrared is not an option. Any links to info on this would be great! Thanks, -Jacob

Last edited:
My british measurements are a little rusty, but isnt 42mm about a half inch? Any hints on the purpose? Six feet and no IR, personally have trouble visualizing something very small being turned on/off from 6 feet away, but not in sight. For such a short distance, I'd use wire.

42mm is 4.2cm = 1.62".

Your right about RF modules that transmit data can be used as simple switches, and the TLP/RLP434's would just about fit the bill for your application

Excluding the PIC (replace with a switch controlling 5V)

Wiring Diagram for the receiver
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Wiring Diagram for the transmitter
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

The only reason I said no IR is becuase there will be no line of sight and a wire is not an option. I could probably fit the module but I wanted more space for other stuff. Thanks for the suggestions! Any one with a really simple circuit or info on making a simple rf transmitter and reciever. Probably wont take more than a few capacitors and resistors and a coil, but... -Jacob

jacob.zurasky said:
The only reason I said no IR is becuase there will be no line of sight and a wire is not an option. I could probably fit the module but I wanted more space for other stuff. Thanks for the suggestions! Any one with a really simple circuit or info on making a simple rf transmitter and reciever. Probably wont take more than a few capacitors and resistors and a coil, but... -Jacob
You need more space for other staff? This pair of RF module is very small, the receiver is only 4.5 x 2 cm, including the pins and the transmitter is only 1 x 2.5 cm, including the pins as well. Are you sure you can make smaller than this? Besides, this pair of module is tuned well, you can just use it once you got it.
It is very difficult to make a RF receiver.

jacob.zurasky said:
Hello everyone, I am having trouble finding any information on how to build a very simple wireless switch. I have seen the modules that can transmit serial data and I know these can be used as a simple on/off transmission as well, but size of the reciever must be as small as possible. 25mmx42mm is just too big for what Im working on. Range will only needs be about 6 feet or so and infrared is not an option. Any links to info on this would be great! Thanks, -Jacob

The receiver in this project of mine is only 19mm x 20mm and operates on 3v.
https://www.pbase.com/sinoline/rf_remote_control_for_d7xx
This remote control is made from a mini RC toy car transmitter and receiver.
Price here in the US from $5 - $15 last time I bought some.

Edit: And you have an added bonus, you have a complete transmitter in its own box ready to go!

Edit #2. Bonus #2, I checked it out, this unit has a range or about 12' with NO antenna connected to the receiver and only 3" (7.5cm) of the transmitter antenna extended.

Last edited:
With the antenna size of less than 20 cm, this pair of RF module works up to 200 foots. I'm using 9 V battery for the transmitter and 5 V for the receiver.

Rolf, thanks for the great idea and excellent board size out of the micro rc cars. That should be perfect for what I am trying to accomplish. Thanks everyone for their ideas. -Jacob

Hello all,

I was interested in doing the same thing the thread starter mentioned. Then Gramo's post had me more intrigued by the simple components needed to build the simple switch system.

Though I have a query about Gramo's post. As far as I can understand, you said to exclude the PIC shown in the diagrams? Can you replace the PIC with anything you fancy? For example, a switch and an LED?

I modified those diagrams you posted. Would this setup work for example?:

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Though is it possible to do what I want it to do?
As long as the switch is held down, the LED on the receiving end lights up?

What other components would have to be included to make this possible?

It is possible if you pulse in periodic square wave. Not possible for DC.
Use a PIC will make this to be possible.

42mm is 4.2cm = 1.62".

Your right about RF modules that transmit data can be used as simple switches, and the TLP/RLP434's would just about fit the bill for your application

Excluding the PIC (replace with a switch controlling 5V)

Wiring Diagram for the receiver
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Wiring Diagram for the transmitter
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Do you guys have any other diagrams or schematics for the simple wireless switch? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back