Simple Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WonDer7002

Excuse my inexperience I have a very simple question. If I measure the resistance of a resistor in hm: /K's and the measurement reads as it should (ie. 330K resistor reads 330hm: k) does this mean that the resistor is good? Or if a resistor is bad will it still read in the correct resistance?
Cheers*

If I measure the resistance of a resistor in /K's and the measurement reads as it should (ie. 330K resistor reads 330 k) does this mean that the resistor is good?

Yes. A bad resistor could either be off in measurment beyond the tolerance indicated by the 4th band (Gold = 5%), show open, or be shorted -- no resistance.

I would expect a resistor that read around the correct resistance (taking into account the tolerance) to work correctly, so long as it is only operated within the specs (usually 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 watt etc).
If a resistor is 'bad', I would expect either very low, or very high reading when checked with multi-meter. Though if it is vastly different to the stated value, then it is not suitable for the application. . .

eg. a 330ohm resistor with 5% tolerance (gold band) could vary from 313.5ohm to 346.5ohm. so if you have a 330ohm, and meter reads it at say 400, then there's something wrong with it.

tinman10011001 said:
Yes. A bad resistor could either be off in measurment beyond the tolerance indicated by the 4th band (Gold = 5%), show open, or be shorted -- no resistance.
Or open circuit (out of rainge).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…