Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WonDer7002

Excuse my inexperience I have a very simple question. If I measure the resistance of a resistor in :eek:hm: /K's and the measurement reads as it should (ie. 330K resistor reads 330:eek:hm: k) does this mean that the resistor is good? Or if a resistor is bad will it still read in the correct resistance? :rolleyes:
Cheers*

If I measure the resistance of a resistor in /K's and the measurement reads as it should (ie. 330K resistor reads 330 k) does this mean that the resistor is good?

Yes. A bad resistor could either be off in measurment beyond the tolerance indicated by the 4th band (Gold = 5%), show open, or be shorted -- no resistance.

I would expect a resistor that read around the correct resistance (taking into account the tolerance) to work correctly, so long as it is only operated within the specs (usually 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 watt etc).
If a resistor is 'bad', I would expect either very low, or very high reading when checked with multi-meter. Though if it is vastly different to the stated value, then it is not suitable for the application. . .

eg. a 330ohm resistor with 5% tolerance (gold band) could vary from 313.5ohm to 346.5ohm. so if you have a 330ohm, and meter reads it at say 400, then there's something wrong with it.

tinman10011001 said:
Yes. A bad resistor could either be off in measurment beyond the tolerance indicated by the 4th band (Gold = 5%), show open, or be shorted -- no resistance.
Or open circuit (out of rainge).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back