Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple AM Radio Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
most of the visitors are from the US?

It is a standard currency. I buy many parts using US currency, for instance Hong Kong.

I don't understand what you are trying to say about the radio.
I found it very useful as a light source for making Macro photo's,
or to observe my ants in the evening.

initially i also wrote the price in Euro's, €4.49

the crap of the year award goes to:

-key fob LED lamp, contacts quickly oxydizing, and replacement batteries costing more than a new lamp

-solar cell LED lamp, falsely claiming that it is rechargeable, but does not charge at all (guess a fake lithium cell, not an accumulator).
cost: 17 Euro's.

there are numerous crap products, indeed, but this radio is not so bad.
I was also thinking of a SONY radio for about 20 Euro's, pretty much retro style.

most of the visitors are from the US?

It's a VERY worldwide forum here, I wouldn't say most visitors are from the USA.

It is a standard currency. I buy many parts using US currency, for instance Hong Kong.

Have you no pride in your own currency, or do you still not consider the Euro 'your' currency?.

there are numerous crap products, indeed, but this radio is not so bad.

Sorry, but it's absolutely rubbish - you only need to look at it, or even just look at the price :D

Ok i was thinking I do people a favour so they do not have to mess with our Euro.

I do not know the word "pride".

also you may not know the purpose for which i intend to use the radio - particulary, to test metal detector circuits.
It may serve this purpose very well.

also it turned out to be a great helping for macro photo, previously, I had great difficulties with that.
the camera software is focussing on the bright spot, as intended.

yes having ants in the house may not be everyone's cup of tea.

but as for Radio, i do not really listen to stations. maybe i also want to buy that SONY radio.

Attachments

• 3642254970_033c4f42a9.jpg
    3642254970_033c4f42a9.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 656
also you may not know the purpose for which i intend to use the radio - particulary, to test metal detector circuits.
It may serve this purpose very well.

So how does that alter the fact that it's a crap radio?.

It may work perfectly well for your somewhat obscure requirements, but that doesn't make it a 'good' radio - only that your requiremnts are very undemanding.

I see no radio, the picture in your last post is just a load of ants feasting on syrup.

What's your point?

Ok i was thinking I do people a favour so they do not have to mess with our Euro.

I do not know the word "pride".

but as for Radio, i do not really listen to stations. maybe i also want to buy that SONY radio.

if you don't listen, what it matters, you can go with the present one, so that the ants can also co exist with in the radio, perhaps using it as a storage for their conserved food
Perhaps a SONY ICFSW-7600GR with digital scale and all newer facilities like SSB, with a possibility to mod for DRM reception in Short and Medium waves, (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/06/Sony_ICF_SW7600GR.pdf ) may not be liked by the Ants--

I see no radio, the picture in your last post is just a load of ants feasting on syrup.

What's your point?

Ehm
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/simple-am-radio-receiver.94129/#post754206

╔╦╦╦═╦╗╔═╦═╦══╦═╗
║║║║╩╣╚╣═╣║║║║║╩╣
╚══╩═╩═╩═╩═╩╩╩╩═╝

yes it is crap - that old 1980s ASCII.
it may server some purposes pretty well.

and the ants yes, they came to me, not the other way round.
they now also feel free to explore everywhere, and end up inside drinking glasses.

*** EDIT

here the PCB of that SONY AM/FM tuner.
cheaply made but at least two TOKO's, and one 455 KHz filter.
after reading the thread, I now feel comfortable to take it apart,
and to extract the tuning capacitor.

anyone knows more about the pin connections?
there are also various small trimmers inside these var.-cap's

Attachments

• PICT1846.JPG
    PICT1846.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
Ants does exist in every radio receivers regardless of SONY or GRUNDIG whatever it is, see MW ant in the circuit. Other types ants include:

LW ant
SW ant
FM ant
CW,SSB high grade ants..

Updates!

Nike I missed you..:(

Here's more details about the antenna, tuning cap and RF Choke for complete beginners for a total success ;)

Avoid trimmers if not using a meter dial.

Using a large loop antenna increases the sensitivity much more!
**broken link removed**

I've made one same like this using PVC joint frame..visitors asked me whether I've constructed a transformer lol :D

**broken link removed**

Construct it and go back to 1960's. Enjoy and Good luck!

Attachments

• AM_ant.PNG
    AM_ant.PNG
    290.6 KB · Views: 1,350
Hi transistor495 thx 4 great effort and i hope the circuit work :D

I have question 4 u can u tell me what is the benefit of 4148 above the transistor BF494 and where exactly the ED in this circuit.
(SORRY if i ask stupid QUES. iam a beginner :eek:)

kindaboy,

It's a kinda circuit where the transistor BF494 works on both RF and AF mode at the same time. So is called a 'reflex receiver'. We take benefit by avoiding 1-2 transistor pre amplifier stages where the aim was to make it simplified yet keeping a good level of sensitivity/selectivity and audio quality.

The radio frequency waves caught by the antenna amplified by the transistor and appears at collector, from there 4148 along with 472p cap demodulate it and an audio appears at base of the transistor which is again goes for further amplification along with RF waves. This process repeats and we get amplified RF and AF at collector, which is inputted to the inductor L which acts like an RF Choke. So it blocks high frequency radio waves and only allows passage of audio frequencies through it. 472p at the output of L bypasses any unblocked RF. So we get a clean audio output at C and it is given to the power amplifier for driving a Loud Speaker.

RFC is a tricky part in reflex circuits :)

transistor495

thx soo0oo much 4 ur help

PLZ can u give me just last 2 hints
1) what is 180E ????
2)I want to be communication system designer so any references u
Preferred can help me in my path :p

And thx a gain 4 ur help

Some pics

The original prototype of this circuit is built neatly on an ultra small package, unfortunately I doesn't own it now. However for taking pictures, yesterday I attempted a 1/2hour taken dirty assembly with all components ready in hand.

Only valuable component on the pcb is the audio amplifier IC, which I'll pull out later for other purposes and kick the pcb out.

It works great anyway..:confused: ;)

Attachments

• IMG0036A.jpg
    IMG0036A.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 748
  • IMG0037A.jpg
    IMG0037A.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG0038A.jpg
    IMG0038A.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 671
Status