Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple 4n25 optoisolator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyLude

Newbie alert, but what does pin 6 do?

I have pins 4 and 5 hooked up to a test LED so when I apply power to 1 and 2, the test LED lights up. What does pin 6 do? I've heard mention that it will amplify the signal, but when I connect it to ground or power, my test LED just goes out.

If it will amplify a signal, I'd like to know, because the signals I'll be receiving are potentially low.

Attachments

• 4n25.gif
    4n25.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 875
Pin 6 is the base of the transistor. Ordinairily pin 6 is not used but since all the terminals of the transistor are available, you can use the transistor like any other. If you are looking for more sensitivity from the LED input to transistor output, use an opto with darlington transistor.

All opto datasheets show the coupling-ratio %. Connection the base with resistor to GND (or to emitter) will reduce the sensitivity, in some case need this for increasing the noise-immunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back