Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Should I buy a Digital O-scope???

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy didi

Hi there everyone.
I have been doing electronic Audio Repairs for about 5 years now. I have an analog Tektronix 453 O-scope, that I picked-up second hand a couple of years ago. Recapped it, and it works great.
With the new digital age and all, is it a good idea to invest in a good DSO? I was looking at the Rigol DS1052E.
I mean will it come in handy over my Tek scope???

On a strictly "convenience" level, an emphatic yes.

I've been using a DSO (plenty on EBay for <$100 USD. I've got the MicroSD DSO201) for a couple of years now. Only good to 1MHz input, but for audio work it's the aces. Don't pitch the textonix, but by all means get a DSO.

Pocket size, charges off a USB port, open source (although I've never used anything put the OS it came with), built is sig gen.

I love it.

<EDIT> And by itself (i.e., not hooked to a grounded USB source for power) you don't have to worry about introducing ground loops into the circuit your testing.

Last edited:
I have a couple of decent CROs in the main workshop, and still prefer them for some analogue display tasks and general workshop use.

I recently got a Hantek digital 'scope with the large 800x600 LCD screen (which is a MUST) and like it a lot. Especially for the ease of carrying it around as it is small to fit on a desk next to any equipment (unlike my big heavy CROs that usually end up with stuff stacked on top of them).

The storage function and the extensive trigger options are very nice too, being able to capture specific issues on a waveform them zoom in as needed to check things out. Like you can set the storage to only trigger on certain pulse widths or slew rates etc. Also the spectrum analyser is cool, although I would not really trust it on very high frequencies as it is just math based on the waveform data samples.

For audio, I see no need of a DSO. If your Tek scope is still in working order, I would stick with that. If you want to do digital work, then a DSO is a must, but don't skimp on BW.

I agree. The 50 MHz 453 isn't costing you a dime and it's working well for you. A new DSO is going to force you to spend money that may be better spent elsewhere. If you need better portability, then consider an inexpensive DSO. It's rare for me to need to store a waveform. In fact, during the heyday of analog scopes, CRT storage was there for single-shot use more than anything. I prefer an analog scope myself and when I did buy a pair of Tektronix TDS220 scopes for the classroom I used the digital storage function strictly for storing waveforms so that I could print or upload them for use in curriculum.

Last edited:
The storage function might be handy in audio testing for capturing spikes, like an intermittant crackle? That's what the slew rate trigger is good for as it won't trigger on the signal generator sinewave but will trigger and capture a spike.

Digital 'scopes have some other measurement functions like they will display frequency, duty cycle, and something that may be useful in audio; displaying the DC bias of a waveform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back