Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Caliper – A Curious Thing

For The Popcorn

Most Helpful Member
A curious thing happened with one of the cheap digital calipers. I had purchased several from Temu because there's never one close at hand when I need one. I grabbed one the other day that I don't think I'd ever used before to measure something close to 5" wide, and the caliper showed 2.5". Weird. I cycled the power, re-zeroed, and it still indicated 2.5".

Checked the metric scale along its length, and it was also indicating 50% size. Comparing the analog scale to the readout, it appeared to read exactly half size.

The display was solid; there was no low battery indication but I replaced the battery and that fixed it. I can't quite explain the failure method.

A curious thing happened with one of the cheap digital calipers. I had purchased several from Temu because there's never one close at hand when I need one. I grabbed one the other day that I don't think I'd ever used before to measure something close to 5" wide, and the caliper showed 2.5". Weird. I cycled the power, re-zeroed, and it still indicated 2.5".

Checked the metric scale along its length, and it was also indicating 50% size. Comparing the analog scale to the readout, it appeared to read exactly half size.

The display was solid; there was no low battery indication but I replaced the battery and that fixed it. I can't quite explain the failure method.
Hi F,
I assume that it counts by reading a line of bits along the shaft, and perhaps 1xbit it broken, so not doubling the resutlt?
Give it a clean!
C

As I said, new, and fixed with a fresh battery.

Big Clive on YouTube has a great video explaining how digital calipers work.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back