Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shock and Awe

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
Hi LG,
I saw it some time ago when it was first on. I have found all of Jim Al-Khalili's programs very well presented and make a point of watching them.

Les.

I dont watch much TV, but that grabbed my interest, good program. I spent the day looking for frogs :D.

I will see if I can get it downloaded for you. Not sure how to convert iplayer to mp4, but I will find out.

In the program they recreate some of the experiments that Galvani and Voltare did. They used freshly hung people and frogs, to activate the nerves. I thought cutting up dead people in the kitchen would freak my mum out, so went looking for frogs instead.

I dont want to spoil the program, so will see if I can get hold of a copy for you, or maybe its on you tube. I will look, failing that I will explain it as best I can. I am sure you know all the history, but the program really made it interesting.

Plus the nerve thing is obviously something I am looking at.

The Volt pile was so revolutionary in many ways, sad that it lead to the other guy dying early and broke, but thats science I guess.

See if you can watch it on you tube, maybe have to use TOR browser set to UK??? If its blocked where you are.

The first hour is what was on last night, I didnt realise there was a series of programs, so I am going to watch the rest now.

Tnx for the mp4. I'll watch it in tjhe AM.

I remember "pithing" a frog (when I was 13), then using a battery to make a hind leg jerk.

I like the dead bodies sitting upright bit, I just dont think that would go down well here............ Not even in the name of science, turns out the video is all 3 parts of the program. I am glad I went looking, I assumed that the one I saw was a stand alone. So having watched all three now, they are really good if you the history. Loved the battle with Tesla, Clever how he beat the AC/DC debate.

I would recommend any program with Jim Al-Khalili in. Check out iPlayer "Science and Nature" category once in a while, though things are quiet right now.

If you are into having your head explode - see this:

I only managed to get 50% of the way through before needing to lie down.

Thanks Hex, really interesting, I have a great question to ask on something else :D.

CERN is going to build a collider that is straight and not curved. Apparently you can get faster beam speeds and higher energies.

Currently when they bash particles into each other, each particle is approaching the speed of light...........

So lets say when two cars do 70mph and hit head on, the combined speed of impact is 140 mph. most cars cant do 190 mph, but you could study the impact forces by colliding two cars the same, at 95mph each. Stick a test dummy in it and the experience for the dummy is like a 190 mph crash.

E=MC2, well loved and known. Energy = the Mass multiplied by the squared speed of Light.

Relativity says that as you get very close to the speed of light, then time begins to slow as it relative to the point in space and the observer etc.

CERN hasnt seen some of the particles it expected to see in collisions, but why should those particles exist at those speeds?

What I am getting at is........... If you have two particles heading towards each other at near the speed of light, what happens to time in relation to them, just at the point before impact? Although they are under the speed of the light, the moment of impact is at an equivalent speed greater than the speed of light. So does that mean for some (probably low mass) particles, the impact itself stops them from existing? Time stops at the point they would be produced???

Or am I doing my over thinking thing again?

LOL Hex, back to wave particle Duality, I love video's on that side of things. Have you noticed EVERYONE who speaks on duality, takes a pretty deep breath first lol. Also note the looks on the audience faces (when they turn around, at times), everyone has the same look in the eyes. :D:D

Its a great subject, but clearly designed to mess with your head! I tried some of the equations on it from a book. Talk about a head foof!

So lets say when two cars do 70mph and hit head on, the combined speed of impact is 140 mph. most cars cant do 190 mph, but you could study the impact forces by colliding two cars the same, at 95mph each. Stick a test dummy in it and the experience for the dummy is like a 190 mph crash.

I thought this to be true but then I watched MythBusters**broken link removed**

Must get around to explaining my understanding of black holes on your other thread.

Have fun.

Mike.

I thought this to be true but then I watched MythBusters**broken link removed**

Must get around to explaining my understanding of black holes on your other thread.

Have fun.

Mike.
So both true and not true! interesting, however myth busters dosnt always get it right, They did one with a jet engine. The idea was a jey engine could knock over a car. They busted the myth, except Top Gear did the same experiment and they blew the car over.

Not saying the crash things they got wrong, but as a source I would want to double check :D.....

Looking forward to the black hole thing, I just found out something else I didnt know about them. I always thought nothing could escape a Black hole, turns out NASA has disproved this with recent pictures. They show a super sized black hole ejecting a massive amount of energy and xrays etc. So yet more mystery to the black holes.

After watching Hex's video, I have another theory on the two slit experiment, but its probably heresy to mention it :D.

Ok Myth Busters is correct apparently!!! (this time), looking at a physics site......... When you run the maths, the impact is double but then divided by two. However in reality the actual kinetic force is slightly different. I assume this is down to the fact cars are on the road and outside factors like friction come into play. But regarding my question, my assumption was wrong!! Learn something new and cool everyday!

Looks like the laws of physics are still intact :D.

I have a great question to ask on something else :D.
Hope you are not expecting any answers from me!

I find QM and relativity fascinating, but have no hope of understanding either. The bits I keep forgetting when using common sense are that time is different in different places and that space-time is warped by Gravity (but I don't really get what space-time is).

More incredible is dark matter and dark energy (if such things turn out to exist). There are some very basic and fundamental truths about physics that nobody has the first clue about. Really hope somebody comes up with answers in my life-time, and that Jim Al-Khalili gets the job of explaining it :)

Hope you are not expecting any answers from me!

I find QM and relativity fascinating, but have no hope of understanding either. The bits I keep forgetting when using common sense are that time is different in different places and that space-time is warped by Gravity (but I don't really get what space-time is).

More incredible is dark matter and dark energy (if such things turn out to exist). There are some very basic and fundamental truths about physics that nobody has the first clue about. Really hope somebody comes up with answers in my life-time, and that Jim Al-Khalili gets the job of explaining it :)
Have a look at Hawkings energy :D

My question might be void, I was looking into it and so far if I go the S.Hawking route, then Black holes dont have anything beyond the event horizon. So far it looks like he is saying they are shallow instead of deep like we think of them. But so many twists and turns, that might turn out wrong by the time I read it all!

Ok Mr Hawking is messing me about, all I can say for sure is....... There is alot of them and they are found in space.......maybe :stop: makes your head really hurt, no idea why I am typing as you dont exist, well not until someone thinks you into existence, and I dont exist, but then again I must do to be able to type....... perhaps its just me and black holes in the universe!! Might be one reason no one takes my calls :D.

Hush Jim, resist the temptation :D

Saw it when it was first broadcast a few years ago. Really interesting programme.
Be kind to frogs, they are your friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back