Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sheer stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
I just needed to gripe about this somewhere.

My wife got a JVC LCD TV LT-26X575 a few years ago from work in good condition with no stand or remote. We picked up a remote just so we could get it to work (controls won't let you do anything useful without the remote)

But the replacement cost on the stand from JVC is 150 dollars!
This is an early 720P LCD TV, only 26 inches.

A brand new 26 inch TV with stand cables remotes and everything is only 250 dollars....

I just don't get it.

I just needed to gripe about this somewhere.

A brand new 26 inch TV with stand cables remotes and everything is only 250 dollars....

I just don't get it.

But..is the new tv a JVC or else just some el cheapo brand name?

Do you need a stand for it?

That's what I said in the post didn't I? Why would you ask that?

Umm... This is the ****-chat forum. All I was doing was griping that the replacement cost of just a stand was greater than 50% of the cost of a new TV. Didn't want help was just a gripe =) You asked a question that had already been answered in my original post. Didn't make sense.

The 26" TV is actually 5 inches shorter vertically than the 26" standard tube we have in our living room because of the aspect ratio difference so it's not worth spending any real money on it, I'd mainly like to use it as an auxiliary PC monitor at some point, at which point I'll just build a stand for it myself.

Last edited:
You think your bummed.
I thought this was going to be a thread on stupid people and the many things they do that make us wonder how why they manage to live and multiply at such alarming rates. :eek:

Turns out its just a 'getting ripped off by the manufacture' thread. :(

No...your reply appeared to be very hostile...hence my comments...

Have at it! :)

If you dont have anything nice to say come sit by me and we will compare stories! :D

Not hostile at all Chippie, it was as simple question. Why would you ask that? =) If I smile and joke does it sound less hostile? =)

I think we have enough threads in here like that already tcmtech, although someone really should spend the time to collect them all into one nice grouping. You've posted some doozies.

Last edited:
Not hostile at all Chippie, it was as simple question. Why would you ask that? =) If I smile and joke does it sound less hostile? =)
QUOTE]

Yes....

Try reading post 3 again....

I find it all too easy to write something and press the enter key without reading what has been typed in...

There are times when I write, re-read and dont even bother to reply because of what I've written may offend or be taken in the wrong context...

Chippie...
"That's what I said didn't I?" is completely neutral question because I did say that =) "Why would you ask that?" was a simple question because your post didn't make sense. You can infer any emotional connotation to the words I used, believe me none was intended.

People will always take what you say in the wrong context eventually, as this thread seems to obviously show =) that's why I asked. All you can do is ask, but if you think I was being hostile, I can absolutely positively state that I had no intention of being hostile. Like TCM said, there's a lot of variety of people here, pretty much none of us think the same so if you perceive an emotional responce in something as simple as the words that go on here you have to get things clarified, there aren't any visual or audio clues as to intention like in real life.

being socially polite and reserved is very admirable. But unfortunately some times you just have to have a bit of a fit and toss some stuff around while getting up in someones business in order to get the proper service you expect! :D

I did the reserved and quiet thing for most of my life and got nothing for it. So I learned to be more outspoken and more thick skinned in regards to others comments and actions. I do get more of what I want in return now and dont feel bad for doing it either! ;)

I've been through the same experience with getting replacement parts as you. It sucks and it unfair that you can buy something new for what a replacement part costs.
My printer cost $38 new and will print about 200 pages before the ink cartridges run out. The new cartridges cost around $45 for the set and will print about 200 pages also.
So about twice a year when printers are on sale for $38 or less I just buy one or two more and part out the old ones. I hate it and its stupid to have to do it that way because of a companies simple greed.:mad:
On the positive side I get my pages printed cheaper and a few new goodies for the parts bins while saving a few dollars in the end.

I can understand parts replacement to some degree. But we're talking about a freegin stand here! Less than 5 pounds of steel and plastic, not exactly complex =) I could make a perfectly good looking one using a couple pieces of wood some L brackets and a can of spray paint, and lots and lots of sanding =) Perhaps some body putty to smooth out the look of the L brackets.
It's just neither the custom made stand or buying a new one justify not just putting the thing back under the bed in it's bubblewrap home. I hate seeing such a decent TV sitting around like that.
I'd use it as a PC monitor but it's too big for the hutch I have my computer in right now. And the loss in vertical height compared to the exisitng tube means it's really not a good TV replacement.

I can relate!
Whats the cost of the plastic and ink worth in a typical cannon or HP printer cartridge? About $1 in manufacturing. :mad:

Good pigment is expensive, I'll go with 5 dollars tops. The only thing more stupid than ink jet ink is perfume.

**broken link removed**

Never complain about gas prices again.

Last edited:
My wife got a JVC LCD TV LT-26X575 a few years ago from work in good condition with no stand or remote. We picked up a remote just so we could get it to work (controls won't let you do anything useful without the remote)
But the replacement cost on the stand from JVC is 150 dollars!

Chippie said:
Do you need a stand for it?

Sceadwian said:
That's what I said in the post didn't I? Why would you ask that?

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, no you did not.

You stated that the TV had no stand, and that the cost of a replacement stand was $150.

It is IMPLIED that you need a stand, but you DID NOT STATE EXPLICITLY that you needed a stand.
There is a difference.

JimB

Sanity check on thread 100633 please, sanity check on thread 100633.

Hey Sceadwian you ever get the feeling some people have nothing better to do than sit on a chat forum and nit pick stuff just to be jerks some days? :rolleyes:

You know you made it to the big time when you cant even have a good rant without getting run over for it!

:D

If the TV is several years old, they won't be manufacturing the stand in volume. As we all know, price goes up as volume goes down (usually).

One of the issues here is sensitivity to "tone of voice".:D
The other may be that some people are a lot more literal than others. I read Sceadwian's original post, and I knew exactly what he meant. apparently, Chippie didn't.

Your tv is like a laptop I got some years back I needed the power supply they wanted more then what I paid for it I got it on ebay It was made for telephone repair men I gave $200.00 for it used and it came with out the power supply.
The supply cost something like $159.00 for a new one I done some checking and a 12 volt DC wall wart worked just fine with it.
Looks like the ass that sold it to me would of said it didn't have one with it when he said it worked lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back