Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sheer stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm... This is the ****-chat forum. All I was doing was griping that the replacement cost of just a stand was greater than 50% of the cost of a new TV.

Pretty obvious why - they have to store all spare parts, stands are large and heavy, and inconvenient. It's also a VERY rarely required part, and only needed if people have lost the original.

Incidently, $150 is VERY cheap for a stand, they are normally considerably more.

I would think they would use the same stand or similar for many models and sizes. Can't imagine re-designing a stand for every new model, if they have a good working one. Maybe it was a bad design, the TV's tipped over easy, and cost them a fortune in warranty repairs. So, they figured that if you want to replace a bad stand, and the TV will tip an shatter, you probably don't mind spending a lot of money anyway.

I would think they would use the same stand or similar for many models and sizes. Can't imagine re-designing a stand for every new model, if they have a good working one.

There may be a few sets in the same range that use the same stand (not all though, due to size variations), but sets from different ranges (and next years sets) will use completely different ones.

Maybe it was a bad design, the TV's tipped over easy, and cost them a fortune in warranty repairs. So, they figured that if you want to replace a bad stand, and the TV will tip an shatter, you probably don't mind spending a lot of money anyway.

Like I said above, that was a bargain price for a stand! - nothing to do with a 'bad stand'.

When we fit a TV on the wall for a customer we always ask if they want to keep the stand, or they want it taking away - those we take away we chuck on a pile of them, in case we need one in the future. They also come in handy for doing repairs, as it's difficult to work on an LCD without a stand.

I'm just a little surprised there isn't a website that sells at reasonable cost universal desktop stand for these kinds of TV's, almost all of them have the standard VESA mounting holes all that's needed is two adjustable arms to put the base of the stand where the center of gravity is for the display.

ok, I have one of these stands for sale,it has some scratches tho, nothing bad. name the price including shipping. I'll send pics if u need them. PM'me please. E.

That's what I said in the post didn't I? Why would you ask that?

Chippie's question:
But..is the new tv a JVC or else just some el cheapo brand name?

You didn't specify what the new TV was, you just said "new TV" with no indication of brand quality.

I happen to agree that the price is ridiculous, just wanted to translate the plain English for you. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back