Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Salvageable parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have an old CRT tv/DVD combi, and an old cd/cassette player, I hate having to throw away any potential treasure troves of parts. So I was wondering, generally are there some good parts that are worth robbing before I throw the carcasses in the scrap?

Thanks

Lee

Each to his own, I guess. Personally, I'd rescue screws, bolts, clips; socketed ICs; Ls, Rs and non-electrolytic Cs (providing they have enough lead length); usable lengths of wiring; motors.

I always find that if I throw something away, I realize I need it a week later. CRT devices are a treasure trove of used components, excellent for prototyping on a breadboard. I wouldn't necessarily recommend using them for PCB assembly, but they're good for testing. CD/cassette players don't have much in them that's usable, except if you take apart the trolley for the CD reader. You can get some IR laser diodes and some heavy-duty miniature magnets. You might find a few neat odds-and-ends in there, too. I suggest getting a cabinet or a storage unit with drawers, remove the circuit boards from the devices, and chuck the rest. Of course, as alec suggested, you might want to salvage some hardware, as well. I've got two large 3-drawer units and one small 3-drawer unit to store old circuit boards and components. It seems to have worked out well so far :)

Sounds good, I have a nice little six drawer stacker with some bits in already, thanks for the advice guys

Last edited:
I have a nice little six drawer stacker with some bits in already
Way too small :D

I've organized most of the bits I've ripped out of parts. As far as I'm concerned yes, strip that thing down to the circuit board! Discrete and SMDS can be recovered even with just a common heat gun or a soldering iron, I tend to make sure I get all of the inductors and regulator IC's or FET's things like that, having a few tubes around is good if you wanna play with them at some point. Sockets and connectors can be worth keeping but as 3v0 said you have to organize. I have drawers that have a 4x4 grid of 2x2 inch craftpaper boxes. About 10 of them, and I still have s shelving rack system full of components to be taken off boards, including at least a half dozen CRT tubes.

If you're not going to organize it and catalog it in some manner though it's a waste of time to strip devices down. I spend more time by far organizing my bits than I do using them, but I have more bits than most.

Keep the flyback LOPT as well, can be used for a ZVS driver circuit to make arcs with.
Best tool for unsoldering is a heatgun and warm up all the pins at the same time.

I normally wont pass up a computer P/S,CRT monitor,old VCR's B/U PS packs-> resistors ,diodes,caps,leds,motors,transitors,pots,heat sinks lots of them
water coolers,thermo cooler,wine coolers--> 12v fans,heavy heat sinks,Peltier cooler/heater
old stereo equipment,cable box'es--> project enclosure(use the back of the unit as the front),bigg transformers,pot's

I'll walk by just about every thing except the above..cuz its free its the best price

I dont normally strip the boards ,I'll spend some time roving the boards for what i need ,unless I know Im going to need a bunch then I'll just pluck and pull as I need the stuff..
1/8 watt resistors come in mighty handy and VCR's are full of them ,being so small they are best left on the boards.

Generally,I arrange my resistors by the decade,just sift through when i need them
diodes by the assigned small parts bag,zener's by voltage in the same.
large caps are in a few buckets,small caps in a single drawer(often its like panning for gold)
Everything else well a little here there and not everywhere, regulators all go in the same bin..power transistors are mated and held together with a wire tie

when Im bored I'll pick a board --strip and sort what I want and toss the rest in the eviro bin

hope this helps..

It's not just tossed into the drawers randomly. I also have 3 component boxes with about 20 compartments in each, plus lots of little sealable plastic bags, some anti static bags and foam. Resistors are stored in common values in groups of ten, LEDs by colour, inductors separate, diodes separate and transistors too.
Rodalco what is the Flyback lopt? Not heard that term before
Thanks for all the advice :p

It's not just tossed into the drawers randomly. I also have 3 component boxes with about 20 compartments in each, plus lots of little sealable plastic bags, some anti static bags and foam. Resistors are stored in common values in groups of ten, LEDs by colour, inductors separate, diodes separate and transistors too.
Rodalco what is the Flyback lopt? Not heard that term before
Thanks for all the advice :p

LOPT = Line OutPut Transformer. Anything with a CRT has one. It's the transformer that steps up the voltage to "spray" the electrons onto the screen. Looks like this:

View attachment 66926

They might sometimes look like this:

View attachment 66927

hi D8,

The EHT is there to remove the free electronics from the CRT volume after they have impacted with the phosphor, not to spray.

E.

hi D8,

The EHT is there to remove the free electronics from the CRT volume after they have impacted with the phosphor, not to spray.

E.

Actually, I just did a little research and neither statement is quite true. The high voltage is actually used to control the horizontal movement of the electron beam. Not to add or remove electrons.

Actually, I just did a little research and neither statement is quite true. The high voltage is actually used to control the horizontal movement of the electron beam. Not to add or remove electrons.

hi D8,
I must admit my first reply was lacking on detail.:eek:

The HV is for accelerating and focussing the electron beam, in a TV CRT the horizontal and vertical scanning on screen is achieved by the deflection coils on the CRT neck, its magnetic.

The +EHT on the internal graphite coating of cone of the CRT attracts and accelerates the electrons towards the screen phosphor. The internal 'electron' charge is removed by the graphite coating and is the return conduction path for the electron beam

Its possible to measure the electron beam current, IIRC I used to measure it as around 100uA to 200uA.

E

Last edited:
I mine bits from tv's and anythign else electronic, resistors are cheap enough so I dont bother with those (except for the power resistors), I keep the larger electrolytic caps, ferrites, power trannys, lopty, deflection coil (these have a very nice ferrite core on some models), speakers (just got a nice bass tube from a toshiba), infra red receiver, relays and a load of other goodies.
If you heat the back of the board with a hot air paint stripper gun you can just pluck all the bits from the other side with a pair of snipe's in 10 mins.
You do need a set of component drawers to keep stuff in, I think I have something like 30 odd tv's worth of bits in mine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back