Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anything interesting I can do with parts from this non-working camera?

Hacdrag

I have a badly water and sand damaged Nikon Coolpix P1000 camera that will not power on. It's not cost-effective to get it repaired. Is there anything interesting (hopefully non-camera related) that I can do with some of the working parts from the circuit board or other components?

anything interesting
From a teenaged boy's perspective, you can...
- try to melt it with a magnifying glass in bright sun
- blow it up with a firecracker
- tape the camera to your shoe and watch all the women in skirts avoid you at the shopping mall
- remove the lens from the camera and use it as described in the first item on this list
- you can burn the plastic and inhale the fumes to see if you get "high"
Otherwise, I don't know what you'd do with a water and sand damaged piece of junk that used to work as a camera.

I was going to say the lens then realized you said water AND SAND damage, so
coatings probably pretty abraded. What a shame, excellent camera.

Regards, Dana.

Dismantle clean and spray a full bottle of high grade isoprop, tooth brush and clean compressed air thoroughly, contact cleaner spray where needed, dry fully and see it comes back to life.

Dismantle clean and spray a full bottle of high grade isoprop, tooth brush and clean compressed air thoroughly, contact cleaner spray where needed, dry fully and see it comes back to life.
The motor and bushings for the focus may not love that. But, it's already junk, it won't be less valuable after the experiment.

The lens, mounted on a suitable handle, can be used as a magnifier.

Why is a handle needed?
The actual main lens element is tiny and short focus. A handle prevents fingers getting in the way of what you're trying to see (not set fire to!).

The actual main lens element is tiny and short focus. A handle prevents fingers getting in the way of what you're trying to see (not set fire to!).
I'm sorry, I've used a magnifying glass only a few times in my life - once for verifying my dad's claim that you can vaporize ants with sunlight. The other to show my son he could burn his initials into a 2x4 with sunlight. I was blessed with excellent close vision.

I'm sorry, I've used a magnifying glass only a few times in my life - once for verifying my dad's claim that you can vaporize ants with sunlight. The other to show my son he could burn his initials into a 2x4 with sunlight. I was blessed with excellent close vision.
Excellent close vision doesn't mean a magnifying glass still isn't helpful - I was born extremely short sighted, so had incredible close up vision (and required glasses for anything that wasn't close) - but magnifiers are still required for fine SM work, or for anything else extra small.

Excellent close vision doesn't mean a magnifying glass still isn't helpful - I was born extremely short sighted, so had incredible close up vision (and required glasses for anything that wasn't close) - but magnifiers are still required for fine SM work, or for anything else extra small.
Magnification may be required for "fine SM work" but I cannot find the definition of what SM parts are "fine". I do ok on 0603 parts without a magnifying glass. If I want anything finer I use a camera or I send it out to an SMT house.

I am interested in learning more about the "fine SM" definition. Where is the cutoff between Fine SM and Coarse SM? Is there a Medium SM?

So, you recommend removing the lense from the nice nig bezel it is mounted in and add your own handle?

1702284694674.png

Magnification may be required for "fine SM work" but I cannot find the definition of what SM parts are "fine". I do ok on 0603 parts without a magnifying glass. If I want anything finer I use a camera or I send it out to an SMT house.

I am interested in learning more about the "fine SM" definition. Where is the cutoff between Fine SM and Coarse SM? Is there a Medium SM?

I suggest you try looking at the different encapsulations for SM IC's - there are certainly at least three degrees (quick song please!) of sizes.

So, you recommend removing the lense from the nice nig bezel it is mounted in and add your own handle?

Nope, I recommend throwing the entire thing in the bin, and not bothering posting here :D

And if you want a magnifying glass, simply buy one.

Nope, I recommend throwing the entire thing in the bin, and not bothering posting here :D

And if you want a magnifying glass, simply buy one.
note: you assumed the comment about a handle was to you. How, besides quoting the authors comment, am I supposed to indate who a question is for? Or does everyone here just answer on behalf of everyone else?

So, you recommend removing the lense from the nice nig bezel it is mounted in
No. Not all cameras have it mounted like that. The mount you show would probably not need the addition of a handle.

I'd suggest putting the camera on ebay listed as "for parts or repair" - it's a £650 camera, many of the parts will have significant value to anyone working on those!

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back