Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Box of broken computer parts - anything useful ?

I have a box of computer parts that are not working. Mostly its power suplies, motherboards and graphic cards. I used some resistors and small capacitors for my projects but considering how cheap those are, its not worth the hassle.

Before i throw it away or give it to someone i was wondering, are there any parts that i could salvage and sell or maybe use for my own projects? I do electronic projects all the time, for fun and to learn new things.

Attachments

• 20221213_192212.jpg
    20221213_192212.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 50

For The Popcorn

Power supplies may be useful for powering projects in the future.

Any heatsinks you can salvage would be good to have in your junk box.

Maybe cut off any pigtails of stuff you don't plan to keep. You might need the connector at some point.

Thank you. All parts, including PSUs are dead, cant use them anymore. Thanks for the heatsink tip, i will recover those, i often need them. But i was wondering if its worth timewise/moneywise to salvage the big 230V caps, AC/DC converters, coils and other elements i dont recognise.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I suspect the large capacitors are more likely to be 450V type (unless specifically for the US market) so the supply is dual 110/230V switchable. I would suspect that most of the other parts aren't salvageable as they are unlikely to use removable modules (such as DC/DC converters) and it'll be part of the overall design.

Mike.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips