Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sad statistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

My wife teaches young children 5 to 6 yrs old. She teaches in a private school for the more well to do children here in San Diego.

What shocked me and was an eye opener was that out of her 24 students, only 4 were of American background. Many Chinese, many Vietnamese, a few German and Korean.

This is alarming to me. It speaks loudly of the priorities of the American family. No longer is education being emphasized.

The parents that bring their children to my wife's school are well to do and have a good income, why are they mostly foreign nationals?

This speaks volumes of our culture. We are letting our children decline into a life of pulchritudinous.

The fact that foreign nationals can afford the better schools than Americans is a big indicator that American families need to change their strategy in preparing their child for the big world they will soon face.

I don't know about you, but this concerns me...

Just to be a devil's advocate here, but would it bother you so much if the class was nothing but "American" students?

Last edited:
Just to be a devil's advocate here, but would it bother you so much if the class was nothing but "American" students?

I think you missed my point DK,
This is not a racist issue, rather I am concerned about the decline of American education. I am very impressed how other nations have educated their children. Perhaps we should investigate the methods used in other countries and what they are doing right because surely Americans are doing something wrong. My point is, America has allowed the education system to decline to a point where America may no longer be competitive.

The fact that most of the children in my wife's class are non American is a tale tale sign that Americans can not afford the private schools. America is falling behind.

P.s Thanks for the input:)

Last edited:
I'd want to know more about the demographics of the school district in question, and especially of the region served by the school. If there is an even distribution of nationalities of families with children in that age group, then maybe there's a problem.

But even then, what percentage of the American* children are being home-schooled? And what percentage are attending public schools? Could that make up the difference? Maybe there just aren't enough American parents with children in that age group with the affluence or inclination to send their children to a private school.

Don't write off any one group just yet. I think you have a very small sampling of data and that much more research is required before the alarm is sounded. :) But I also think it's worth looking into, for a variety of reasons.

Regards,

Torben

* - What is an American child anyway? Or a Canadian, for that matter? My data is from Texas, my Mom is from Denmark. I was born and raised in Canada, and I call myself Canadian. Maybe some of these kids consider themselves American.

I think you missed my point DK,
This is not a racist issue, rather I am concerned about the decline of American education. I am very impressed how other nations have educated their children. Perhaps we should investigate the methods used in other countries and what they are doing right because surely Americans are doing something wrong. My point is, America has allowed the education system to decline to a point where America may no longer be competitive.

The fact that most of the children in my wife's class are non American is a tale tale sign that Americans can not afford the private schools. America is falling behind.

P.s Thanks for the input:)

I guess the flip side of your argument is why does not the public education system provide the quality of education that a private system does. That is why do parents, if they really care as you imply, have to pay for public schools with their taxes and pay after tax income in addition to get the education they want for their children?

I really don't have the answer but somehow think that a voucher system would allow more parents more choices within their ability to pay. I say that even though my daughter is a high school special education teacher.

Lefty

I think MY point is this. The more affluent people in San Diego are non American, which means American people are bringing in less affluence. To me this indicates Americans are no longer holding the good paying jobs.

My wife teaches in a well to do area, Del Mar Ca.

Last edited:
I'd want to know more about the demographics of the school district in question, and especially of the region served by the school. If there is an even distribution of nationalities of families with children in that age group, then maybe there's a problem.

But even then, what percentage of the American* children are being home-schooled? And what percentage are attending public schools? Could that make up the difference? Maybe there just aren't enough American parents with children in that age group with the affluence or inclination to send their children to a private school.

Don't write off any one group just yet. I think you have a very small sampling of data and that much more research is required before the alarm is sounded. :) But I also think it's worth looking into, for a variety of reasons.

Regards,

Torben

* - What is an American child anyway? Or a Canadian, for that matter? My data is from Texas, my Mom is from Denmark. I was born and raised in Canada, and I call myself Canadian. Maybe some of these kids consider themselves American.

I did a demographic search on Del mar, the results were mostly Anglo, yet the minorities have the better jobs. Americans are not producing productive children as they once did.

I guess the flip side of your argument is why does not the public education system provide the quality of education that a private system does. That is why do parents, if they really care as you imply, have to pay for public schools with their taxes and pay after tax income in addition to get the education they want for their children?

I really don't have the answer but somehow think that a voucher system would allow more parents more choices within their ability to pay. I say that even though my daughter is a high school special education teacher.

Lefty

Public schools pay crap wages. It is much more profitable to teach in a private school. City's and states are constantly cutting back on a teachers salary. I am amazed anyone is willing to endure 4 or more years of college to earn a meager $20k year job. We need to do something about this pay gap.

Public schools pay crap wages. It is much more profitable to teach in a private school. City's and states are constantly cutting back on a teachers salary. I am amazed anyone is willing to endure 4 or more years of college to earn a meager $20k year job. We need to do something about this pay gap.

Hear, hear!

Torben

Hear, hear!

Torben

Thanks Torben. Give me a smooch.. not. Just kidding.

Well our schools are going to hell in a hand basket, but damn, don't we have a fine looking freeway and our school gym is so impressive. Holy cow people, we need a change.

Last edited:
It seems America is all about sports, nothing else matters. Go to the NBA, NFL or MLB and life is good. We have given up on education. I guess my preaching is hopeless.

It seems America is all about sports, nothing else matters. Go to the NBA, NFL or MLB and life is good. We have given up on education. I guess my preaching is hopeless.

I'd say it's not that America is all about sports, but about entertainment. Pro sports is just a subset of entertainment, which in some ways seems to be the dominant American export.

(I know that's not entirely true and I know there are many hardworking Americans in other industries. But I also know how it can look that way from the outside, or if you live in southern California. ;) )

Torben

Last edited:
I'd say it's not that America is all about sports, but about entertainment. Pro sports is just a subset of entertainment, which in some ways seems to be the dominant American export.

(I know that's not entirely true and I know there are many hardworking Americans in other industries. But I also know how it can look that way from the outside, or if you live in southern California. ;) )

Torben

Sad, but true. Sports or entertainment are the easy way out of hard work like science or math. Sad reality is, who pays money to watch a chemistry experiment. People here want the big bang, no big money in drug discovery or a better cell phone.

Hear, hear!

Torben

What do school teachers in Canada make? Is equally abysmal?

Is this what one would call a rant? Guess I am on one :)

Last edited:
I bring up obscure and obtuse topics here in this forum, in hope of generating a topic many will like to discuss, thus creating a true discussion. To date, I have failed at this task, I really do not know what inspires you folks and what instills you to participate in discussion. Alas, I am out of words, and I hope some passionate soul inspires you in some way. I am a dreamer, I have a false hope of what the world might be. I would love to read about what you care about and what your envisioned world might be. It cost nothing but a moment to share...

Last edited:

Are the state schools so poor then?, I wouldn't have considered sending my daughter to a private school - you get an excellent education at most state schools in the UK. My daughter even went to a 'failing' school that they are trying to close - yet the same school has won (and is still winning) many national awards for excellence. They don't get awards for their pupils exam results, as they tend to get mostly the low achievers, but that's not the only criteria for a good school.

As far as I can see, the local council want to close the school so they can build housing on it's nice large site :mad:

If you look at scholastic scores of state schools, America is so far behind any other country.

Thing is, I think Britan and America are closely linked. Like brothers so to speak. Our economies are very intertwined. When we fall, Britan will feel the fall as well. Our countries depend on each other as do other nations, it is vital America remains strong.

America will fail if our children can not meet the demands that will be placed on them.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it isn't law to have them at school.

Here in Australia, schooling is compulsory until year 10, and only the last two senior years are "voluntary"

It's compulsory in the UK until year 11, and has been since the late 60's. There's talk about making it compulsory until year 13 - which is stupid, some kids don't learn, there are far better alternatives for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back