Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Statistics question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derstrom,

I can definitely see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. If all of them had the same value of 25%, then the chance would be 0%, because the correct answer is not listed (100%). You would need to take it further in order to realize that none of the given answers are correct. In fact, i don't believe there would be any correct answer (at all)--it is undefined.

It would be 100% with respect to the letters if you could select all four letters. It is 100% as far as being correct. But I choose to interpret it as being able to select at random, only one particular letter. You have a 25% chance of doing that. The answer will show us when it is disclosed.

Ratch

Derstrom,

It would be 100% with respect to the letters if you could select all four letters. It is 100% as far as being correct. But I choose to interpret it as being able to select at random, only one particular letter.

That is another thing--it has a lot to do with how you interpret the question.

You have a 25% chance of doing that. The answer will show us when it is disclosed.

That's the whole point--there is no answer! It will never be disclosed, because it's impossible to be right. That is what makes this question interesting. It is one of those brainteasers that have no answer. You can either continue to argue the answer you think is right, or just accept that it's impossible. As for me, I have chosen the latter.

It is one of those brainteasers that have no answer. You can either continue to argue the answer you think is right, or just accept that it's impossible. As for me, I have chosen the latter.
If there is no correct answer then the chance of choosing the correct answer is 0%.

If there is no correct answer then the chance of choosing the correct answer is 0%.

And since 0% isn't listed, there is no answer using the given information :D

And since 0% isn't listed, there is no answer using the given information :D

"What is the chance you will be correct?" I think we are saying the same thing. No correct answer means no chance of picking the correct answer.

"What is the chance you will be correct?" I think we are saying the same thing. No correct answer means no chance of picking the correct answer.

Yes, sorry, I was agreeing :D You and I are on the same page.

The meaning of "Random" in Statistics.

- Of or characterizing a process of selection in which each item of a set has an "equal probability" of being chosen -

So, if I choose any one of these the answer to the question at "Random". I should ignore A,B,C,D actual values. Possibly to answer the problem this way.

First the Question Part 1 and 2:

Part 1. If you choose an answer to this question at "Random" {hence, having equal probability} Part 2. What is your chance of being correct? ( The real question )

I agree with 3v0 and Ratchit.

Part 1, 3v0, say's the question is a probability question.

Part 2. Ratchet, the probability is divided by (a,b,c,d) 25%

Edit: Before reading all the post's I wanted to say a 100% probability of being correct 0% but that would be the sum of a,b,c.d which is incorrect. it's not whether your correct or not, it's the probability correct.

Who thinks of this stuff?

Last edited:
Ah, and killivolt raised another good point--it is impossible for anything in real life to be completely random :D

While beauty and anything else for that matter is in the eye of the beholder I see it as a paradox. Maybe just because I choose to see it that way? Granted there is no A, B, C, or D answer but along these lines:

"Consider a town in which the men are all clean-shaven. The town has one barber, Mr Jones. Each of the men in the town either shaves himself, or he is shaved by Mr Jones. Now consider Mr Jones: does he shave himself? Well, if he shaves himself, Mr Jones must be one of the men in the town who doesn’t shave himself. But if he doesn’t shave himself, then he is one of the men who does not shave himself and so is therefore shaved by Mr Jones – so he shaves himself. You see the paradox here".

There is also the classic liar paradox and of course if I went back in time to when my father was young. We get in a fight and I kill him. How could it have happened?

Ron

Ah, and killivolt raised another good point--it is impossible for anything in real life to be completely random :D

Derstrom8, I think we got "Trolled"

Edit: Ron, like my older brother use to tell me. I belong to the Milkman :)

Last edited:
Derstrom8, I think we got "Trolled"

Edit: Ron, like my older brother use to tell me. I belong to the Milkman :)

That is a standard. I told that to my younger brother all the time and matter of fact I still do. :)

Ron

That is a standard. I told that to my younger brother all the time and matter of fact I still do. :)

Ron

So does mine.

Hmm Interesting, So, if I go back in time and kill my father I could eliminate my brother. Hahahahahhahaha

The Vulcan science council has determined time travel is not possible. :)

Get real, what do the Vulcans know of this stuff?

Mike.

Last weekend it seemed there were endless Star Trek movies on. So I watched them. :)

Ron

I choose C.

I know its wrong but at least I am sure I can be 100% wrong with that answer!;)

I put a printout of the image on the wall and threw a dart at it. Answer is B :)

It was just random chance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back