Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RGB Controller - Unknown Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xephlon

Recently I've been fiddling around with this RGB LED board out of an Illuminated Arcade Joystick. Right now, it has a set of pre-programmed sequences that light up different LED combinations and change the overall RGB colour. This is all controlled by transistors carrying the supply voltage and this unknown chip that supplies the control voltage to the transistors. I am unsure of what the chip is, but after some poking around, I am somewhat suspicious that it may be something called a CAN BUS. I am probably wrong :rolleyes:.

I have attached an image of the real life PCB and a quick mock up that I did in CAD. Bear in mind, the germanium diode and C1 are of unknown values, but I think they're only for voltage sanitation. If you can help, I would greatly appreciate it :)

Thanks

RGB Joystick Image.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

Resistors 271=270 ohms not 27k. This problem several times.
Transistors The LEDs probably gos to the Collector not the Base. The IC connects to the Base throught a resistor.

Xephlon
Resistors 271=270 ohms not 27k. This problem several times.
Try to remember that the 3rd digit is the multiplier and signifies the number of zeros following the value identified from the first two digits.
"101" is 10, with 1 zero, which equals 100 Ohms.
"102" is 10, with 2 zeros, which equals 1000 Ohms, or 1K Ohms, and so on.

Regards.
P.S. please post the markings from the 8-pin chip at the top-left of your image, so it can be properly identified. (It won't be CAN BUS, but don't beat yourself up about it.)

The base resistors are 2.2K. The diode is a zener voltage regulator. What is the input voltage to the board?

ak

Ah right. The resistor conversion key I was reading was confusing. The chip has been scrubbed and has no markings. I would have looked it up if it did. I also contacted the seller, but they don’t have access to the schematics. All I am trying to do is hook the LED’s up to an arduino so I can control them like normal RGB LED’s. The reason I asked if you guys knew the chip is so if it was programmable, I could just run it like that with my own sequences. It runs off 12V. Any clean cut ideas? Also thanks for all the great replies! :D

Last edited:
As already mentioned, it's almost certainly a micro-controller - so having a number for it would be of no help.

If you want to run the LED's from an Arduino, simply remove the unmarked chip, and connect I/O lines to R6, R7 and R8.

Awesome! I’ll give it a spin. Thanks for all the help :D I’m really not experienced with microcontrollers and SMD components this small, so thanks for being paient.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back