Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RFID Antenna Multiplexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simple1

Working on a project with RFID reader, tags, and antennas. I want to be able to scan through 70+ antennas and read any and all RFID tags that are within range. From there the RFID reader would send the information to a micro controller or Arduino board.

To do this i thought of using: 1 RFID reader, 16 multiplexers, counter or 555timer, and the antennas.

What I want it to do: The idea was to connect an array of antennas to the 16x1 multiplexers. The antennas would be cycled through 1 by 1 to check for RFID Tags. This would then be fed to the RFID reader.
Another way of looking at it - - - Picture a table with an array of 75 antennas on its surface and you toss a couple RFID tags on the table. Now what i want it to do is scan through each antenna to count all the tags on the table and send the info to the RFID reader / Arduino board.

The problem:
If i try to connect more than 3 antennas the read distance goes down dramatically. It actually goes down 1/2 the distance with each additional antenna. By the time i connect about 5 antennas they wont read the tags anymore.

Anyone have any suggestions on how i would be able to setup an array of antennas that feed info to 1 RFID reader?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back