Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Chokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronv

Most Helpful Member
I'm trying to build a power amp that runs at 66MHz. The circuit calls for an RF choke of 10 uh. When I look at data sheets for such inductors the self resonant frequency is either below or right around 66MHz. Do I need to worry about this? If so what is the solution? I've looked at ferrite beads but it looks like 2uh is about is big as I can find.

Yes, it is just to decouple the RF from the supply.

Thanks!

Self Resonant Frequency of an inductor is that lowest frequency at which the inductor is a parallel resonant circuit, involving the device inductance and its parasitic capacitance. The point of a choke is to present a high impedance to RF and an inductor at self resonance is at its maximum impedance, so it would work fine. Above the SRF, there are other resonances that are less predictable unless measured, so its not a great idea to go very much above the SRF, as a rule of thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back