Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rf encoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALBERT41

Hello, looking for some input on a new idea. I want to control 20 channels from a single location. The 20 channels will be spread over 5 locations with in 150m of the transmitter. I'm looking at ht12e ht12d encoder decoder with a rf transmitter and receiver. Would like to know if 5 encoder can be joined to a single transmitter?

ESP32 create a mesh network. Module includes RF facility, some users have
extended range >> 1 KM.

Regards, Dana.

The encoders would need different addresses, to control different receivers & you would have to control the /TE pin of each separately.

Instead of that:
If you use a single HT12E and change the address (eg. using three more data lines, or diodes from different sets of buttons) as well as the data before triggering /TE, a single device can be linked to multiple receivers, up to eight with three controlled address lines & the rest of the address fixed.

Hello, looking for some input on a new idea. I want to control 20 channels from a single location. The 20 channels will be spread over 5 locations with in 150m of the transmitter. I'm looking at ht12e ht12d encoder decoder with a rf transmitter and receiver. Would like to know if 5 encoder can be joined to a single transmitter?

What exactly are you trying to do - we get lot's of questions about HT12's- here, and pretty well without exception they are trying to use them for an entirely different purpose to that they are designed for.

The HT-12 series chips are for simple remote controls, as on a TV etc, not for transferring data etc.

If you're using a processor?, you might have a look at the HC-12 RF modules, these simply give you an RS232 style serial link via RF, and have a far greater range than the majority of modules.

I agree with Nigel's suggestion of using HC-12 modules. I use them with remote sensors monitoring temperature pressure and humidity. I also have some sensors monitoring voltage and current. I use a very simple system to request data from a remote sensor. I use a "#" character followed by an upper case letter. The letter is the station address. This gives the option of 26 remote sensors but it could be increase using lower case letters and also numbers. As all the HC-12 are on the same frequency they all see the request from the master station. If they see the "#" character they wait for a few seconds waiting for the next character. If it is their address character they respond by sending the data in the form of a string of ASCII characters.

Les.

Need to control a relay at the receiving end. To turn on land off lights. Its to control a small race track safety lights. Just a simple button but I need 20 not 4...

All pretty new to me. Any diagrams or videos would be appreciated. The hc12 looks good. Just a basic circuit diagram on how it would work with 20 channels? Also would it be capable of use multiple channels at once?

With HC12's and micro-controllers you can do whatever you want - you could even extend their range by passing the signal from one to another round the track.

I did similar to Les Jones with them, sending data requests to each in turn to read sensors - HC12's are two way, so have lot's of possibilities.

The only think I would suggest - get them all from the same place at the same time - there appears to be at least two slightly different variants, and you only get very short range if you mix them.

Your requirement is much more critical than mine. For my system if there is a message loss due to interference I can just request the data again but I assume your warning light are to stop a race in the event of an accident. A safety system may require some kind of approval by you insurance company for the event. If you do use HC-12s I suggest that you write the software so that the remote unit send back a message to confirm that the light has been turned on.
Nigel makes a good point that I forgot about getting the HC-12 from the same supplier. I have bought HC-12s from a number of suppliers with no problems but one batch did not work with any of the ones I already. They did work with others in that batch. After doing some investigation online I found that one manufacturer had used crystals that were outside there frequency specification. I checked the crystal frequency of the crystals use in the new batch and confirmed they were off frequency. I returned the batch and was given a refund.

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back