Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reversable DC motor standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Bax

Hello All - Can anyone confirm if there is a standard for which reversable DC motors are wound and what the expected rotation is? I have a few motors that when bench tested opperate with an opposite rotation than the others, all motors from the same manufacturer.

When applying Battery (+) to F2 while connecting A to F1, what should the rotation be, as veiwed from the drive end of the armature ?

Any insight is appretiated.

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum.
If you are not familiar with DC motors, a simple test will tell you that any DC motor is bidirectional. You just have to connect the terminals of a power source i.e a battery to the terminals and see it for yourself. As for the designations you described, they're not more than just a guide for you to identify the pins.

Are you trying to build your own motor?

I'm attempting to determine if there exsists a design guideline that all motors are to spin X direction when Y connections are made. Any thoughts, or is there no continuity (pun intented) in DC motor circuitry from one manufacturer to another ?

If you look on the product webpages of DC motor manufacturers they usually have CW or CCW parts listed in each motor, so they can supply as CW or CCW depending on the customer order.

Most small brushed DC motors with permanent magnet stator are reversable (by swapping the wires) with no problem.

I'm attempting to determine if there exsists a design guideline that all motors are to spin X direction when Y connections are made. Any thoughts, or is there no continuity (pun intented) in DC motor circuitry from one manufacturer to another ?

there is a very minimal "circuit" equivalent to a DC motor.... but not qualified to be called a circuit by itself, IMO. There are always separate components used to render the motor bidirectional. You might want to look up on push-pull drivers, or we call them H-bridges.

Regarding your question, the direction of motors simply obey Fleming's right hand rule. A simple picture might tell from my blog:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RPO_T8Hdphc/Sd2D5xnvIkI/AAAAAAAAAAs/PIsKjrBOcGA/s1600-h/motor+2+pole.bmp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back