Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor color code

Status
Not open for further replies.

positronicle

I would appreciate any feedback you might have, on an interactive resistor color code program I have recently put together. It does require the shockwave plugin, in order to work, though.
Thanks.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

positronicle said:
I would appreciate any feedback you might have, on an interactive resistor color code program I have recently put together. It does require the shockwave plugin, in order to work, though.
Thanks.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

You asked for it, so I'm gonna pick nits. :) But to start: it's very well done.

o It's visually gorgeous, if a little clean.
o It appears to work.
o I would like a way to just input a value, or. . .
o . . .a way to go back. Say I'm at red and I just want to go to brown. Currently I have to cycle through all the other colours to get back to brown.
o I got it to work on Linux using wine and ie6. Firefox on Linux didn't have access to the Windows stuff it needed. Could it be done in a more open format which would allow more geeks-in-training to use it?

Like I said, picking nits. Overall it's a good job.

Disclaimer: This review is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

Torben

nice work and very good application, but an additional points would make it much better:

* the other way round, to input the value and get the color code.

* 4 band Resistor color code

* a toggle indication to tell whether this is a standard value or not.

Thanks for the input, guys. I've now uploaded a newer version to the site, one which allows for reversing the order of your selection. I'll probably see about adding a way to input a value manually, next. By the way, I also compiled that same version as a basic ".exe"(shockwave not required), and uploaded it in a 3mb Zip file, in case anyone wanted to try that instead. You can download it by selecting "free", waiting a short while(usually about a minute), and then entering a security code.
It's located here:

**broken link removed**

positronicle said:
Thanks for the input, guys. I've now uploaded a newer version to the site, one which allows for reversing the order of your selection. I'll probably see about adding a way to input a value manually, next. By the way, I also compiled that same version as a basic ".exe"(shockwave not required), and uploaded it in a 3mb Zip file, in case anyone wanted to try that instead. You can download it by selecting "free", waiting a short while(usually about a minute), and then entering a security code.
It's located here:

**broken link removed**

Cool beans. The .exe works fine under wine, too.

More suggestions: I would second the call for a way to show whether the current value is standard or not; even better might be a toggle to disallow non-standard values altogether.

Also, from a usability point of view, a Help icon or button of some kind would be nice. That said, it's not like the thing has the most complex interface ever ;) but currently you only get instructions once and they then disappear. Even better would be to obviate the need for instructions at all with UI elements to click on for the value up/down.

Looking good!

Torben

[Edit: Oh yeah--about the Flash stuff. Flash is fine for cross-platform work, but the x-director MIME type for the .dcr file doesn't appear to work on Firefox or Opera except on Windows. Probably needs .NET or something; I'm not interested enough to find out. :) Perhaps it's just another option in the 'Save as. . ." or "Export as. . ." or whatever it is you use to output your project for publishing to the web.]

Last edited:
You allow the possibility of a black band on the first place on the left which is a no no. Although it won't appear in reality, someone, not in the know may try looking for that sequence.

<Black- red -red -gold> relays 200 ohms 5%

cheers

Hi all, I just thought I would let everyone know about an "easter egg" in the newest version at the site.

**broken link removed**

In order to reach it, you must set the resistor to 420 ohms, at 10% tolerance, and then click a certain screw(upper right) on the unit.

By the way, unlike Flash, I don't think Adobe has written a shockwave plugin for linux yet. Probably using Wine, is about the only option for viewing shockwave from Linux, as of right now.

positronicle said:
By the way, unlike Flash, I don't think Adobe has written a shockwave plugin for linux yet. Probably using Wine, is about the only option for viewing shockwave from Linux, as of right now.

Yeah, so it would appear. Oh well. :)

Torben

"Most modern resistors are SMDs which are too small to use color code banding. The value of learning them is questionable."

Most modern electronic devices use integrated circuits, too. No point in learning about transistors, diodes and that silly Ohm's Law stuff.

Or the observation could be, "Oh, as soon as electronic devices started using SMT, all the other thru-hole technology just disappeared?"

Dean

If you disallow non-standard values, will you account for the 10% set (does anyone use these nowadays?), 5% set, and 1% set?

Remember that the 20%, 10% and 5% standard values are interrelated. 1% and tighter values have nothing to do with the previous, other than the starting value of 1.00. Sorting out the 5, 10, and 20 sets is easy. Filtering through the 1%, .5%, .1%, etc. is more difficult and you must rely upon limiting the significant digits in the sloppier tolerances to two to help separate them.

"Batman (does-something-nasty-to) Robin On Yonder Gotham Bridge. Very Good Work. Get Superman Next." That was the jingle promoted by some instructors in the U.S. Navy ET "A" school on Treasure Island (San Francisco) ca. 1971.

The trouble with the jingles is that they don't discern between black, brown and blue or gray and green. I never saw any point in them over simply learning the color code by rote.

Dean

Dean,
You have read things into my post that are not there.

Dean Huster said:
"Most modern resistors are SMDs which are too small to use color code banding. The value of learning them is questionable."

Most modern electronic devices use integrated circuits, too. No point in learning about transistors, diodes and that silly Ohm's Law stuff.

I said that the memorization of resistor color codes has questionable value. Perhaps deminishing value would have a better choice of words.

I did not say people should stop learning theory. It is a big jump from markings to theory.
Or the observation could be, "Oh, as soon as electronic devices started using SMT, all the other thru-hole technology just disappeared?
Dean
I did not and would not say that.

I should really report that to the moderator for being offensive but we've got to have a laugh once in awhile. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back