Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor color code

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are fairly 'standard' mnemomics, I already knew the colour code long before I went to college, but we were told:

"bad boys rape our young girls but virgins get wise"

But there are lots and lots of different ones, likewise for the colours of the rainbow.

Hero999,

The Black was to distinguish from Brown. Bastards in Aus is often a term of endearment and I would venture that when the Navy Instructor told us that Mnemonic in 1968 no racial slur was intended or attached to it. You could argue that Boys has racial overtones. I am sorry that we now have to watch everything we say. Enid Blyton's books (Noddy's) are being re-written. TinTin (Hergé) is being cleaned up!! The word gay has been stolen from my vocabulary. I wonder what people will think when I mention a 'nosegay" (a bunch of flowers ). Sorry, political correctness gets up my nose. A short person is short -not vertically challenged, etc.

GRRRR:mad: NOT at you Hero just mad at political Correctness RH

Last edited:
The Spastics Society has become SCOPE and the can't say someone's mentally retarded even if they are, you have to say they suffer from global development delay.

Political correctness really is stupid.

Hero999 said:
The Spastics Society has become SCOPE and the can't say someone's mentally retarded even if they are, you have to say they suffer from global development delay.

Political correctness really is stupid.

Absolutely - I always call it 'political stupidity!'.

At my daughters previous school they were told you couldn't call a 'blackboard' that any more, you had to call it a 'rainbow board'?.

It caused Melissa to write a song called 'Patriot', which includes the lyrics:

"We used to fly our flag
Proud of our country
But now we hide away
Where no one else can see"

For those who don't know, you're not allowed to fly an English flag on a public building in England, it's supposedly 'racist'?.

I try to keep an open mind about the feeling of others. However the whole PC thing bothers me a bit. It would not be so bad if it were uniformly applied. I do not know if that is even possible.

The PC police are upset about this, one has to wonder if the inmates care? Should we care if they do? It is ancient history. If you apply this uniformly how many countries could fly their national flag? Think about it in context.

**broken link removed**

Could it be that the St. George’s Cross will soon join the Confederate flag as a hate symbol as defined by

Just as there is much more to England then the crusades there is/was a lot more to the confederacy and it's flag then slavery.
The Confederate Battle Flag:A Symbol of Racism?

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:
In the immortal words of Walt Kelly,
**broken link removed**
(For those not familiar with U.S. history, this is a takeoff on Admiral Perry's dispatch during the American War of 1812, "We have met the enemy, and he is ours.")

In Glenn Beck's bestseller, "An Inconvenient Book", he has a chapter on PC. If you think PC has run amok (or if you don't), you should read this chapter. In fact, I recommend reading the whole book. You liberals reading this think Beck is a nut case, but I think he's spot on.

Hi everyone, just wanted to report a newer and more improved version, is now online. If you would, please let me know how it's working for you. Thanks again.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Nigel Goodwin said:
At my daughters previous school they were told you couldn't call a 'blackboard' that any more, you had to call it a 'rainbow board'?.

Is that because these use multi coloured blackboards in the Uk.?:rolleyes:
You would have to keep changing your chaulk colour to keep up the contrast.

Here in Canada ( the colonies) the blackboards are go figure.. black. :)

Soon you will not be allowed to speak. so sad

Last edited:
positronicle said:
Hi everyone, just wanted to report a newer and more improved version, is now online. If you would, please let me know how it's working for you. Thanks again.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
Hi, I've tested it and it works beautifully for 4 banded resisitors.
Are you thinking of expanding it to include 5 band Metal Film (Close tolerance) resistors. eg Brown,black,black,brown,brown = 1,0,0, x10, 1%. =1k ohm?

As it is it works very nicely

Cheers
RH

"For those who don't know, you're not allowed to fly an English flag on a public building in England, it's supposedly 'racist'?."

You have got to be kidding me. Is it because it was a sign of the British Empire overlording in African, Asian Subcontinent, West Indies, etc. countries? So did the Spanish, Dutch, French, etc. No one here in the U.S. has insisted upon renaming Bonne Terre, Ste. Genevieve or Terre Du Lac (Missouri) or San Jose, San Diego, Los Angeles (California) or El Paso (Texas) and a myriad of other cities founded by invading empires. It's part of the history. Of course, any Spanish/Mexican place names help our invading hordes of illegal aliens navigate more easily.

Black boards? All of our boards were GREEN -- coated steel -- and we still called them blackboards. Actually, chalkboard is the more-correct name regardless of the color.

Dean

Dean Huster said:
"For those who don't know, you're not allowed to fly an English flag on a public building in England, it's supposedly 'racist'?."

You have got to be kidding me.

No, not kidding, you can fly a Welsh flag in Wales (or England for that matter), a Scottish flag in Scotland, or an Irish flag in Ireland - but you can't fly an English flag on a public building in England. PC gone mad! - and it incredibly stupid before!.

Black boards? All of our boards were GREEN -- coated steel -- and we still called them blackboards. Actually, chalkboard is the more-correct name regardless of the color.

Schools here now mostly use 'whiteboards', with marker pens - also they often project on the board as a screen, and you can write on it and have it appear on the projector output - pretty smart, when it works!!.

Dean,

As I pointed out the US has very much the same thing going with the Confederate flag.

All the teaches except me use smart boards which are much as Nigel described.
I use the blackboard for various reasons.

Last edited:
3v0 said:
Dean,

As I pointed out the US has very much the same thing going with the Confederate flag.

Hardly the same, the confederacy hasn't existed for a LONG time - it would be more like the 'damn yankees' flag being banned :D

All the teaches except me use smart boards which are much as Nigel described.
I use the blackboard for various reasons.

Do your smart boards work reliably?, or is that why you use a blackboard?.

wmmullaney said:
Positronicle, in my browser I get a can't connect to server error, any1 else have that problem?

I hate that you are having problems connecting up. Here is a second location to try, in case the other link is having problems. I have noticed a connection problem, more than once, myself. Usually I only had to hit the reload button a time or two, in order to proceed. The webhosting is that I am using for the resistor app is free, so the level of service will probably not be the best. Maybe this extra link will help:

**broken link removed**

RetiredHal, glad it seems to work for you. I hadn't really planned on doing a 5 band version, due to the fact that I mostly built the program, as an exercise in programming(and graphics). I never really thought that the world truly needed another "resistor color wheel".

I'm thinking that so long as black boys continue raping our young girls and violet continues to be a slut, the resistor color code issue is pretty well in hand. Yeah, I know...I'm supposed to know the "clean" version but, I'm afraid that's little more than a distant and fuzzy memory.

Ah, but **** CHAT is the glory of any forum that doesn't have a special "gritch" section. The subject stays on, then wanders, then comes back, then wanders ..... isn't that the same way it works when you have an in-person informal group discussing something? One doesn't deride another for veering off-subject then.

Nigel: "Hardly the same, the confederacy hasn't existed for a LONG time - it would be more like the 'damn yankees' flag being banned."

Yeah, but in the States, flying the Confederate flag vs. the U.S. flag is considered to be racist and in most cases, I think it is. Some state courthouses were flying the U.S. flag, their state flag and then the Confederate flag and were chastized for the latter.

I've been teaching since 1982 and chalkboards are still my favorite except for the chalky hands you always get. You can project on the green ones and overwrite as well, but it is difficult to see the projection. Although white boards are great for the projection and write-over aspect, I have never liked them. Sure colored markers and the projection aspect is OK, but you go through markers like mad. Schools aren't as happy about supplying gross boxes of markers as they are chalk. And there is colored chalk, great as long as you have a wet sponge handy to properly erase a board since the more saturated chalks tend to be less erasable.

It takes a pretty heavy budget to afford a smart board, the the bigger it is, the worse it is. I'm of the opinion that computers have invaded the classroom far too much already to the point where the computer becomes the focus (and the distraction) and the educational content takes a back seat. Sorry, but you can't convince me that with the same level of teaching skills that students didn't learn more in 1960 than they do in 2008.

AND RIGHT BACK TO THE SUBJECT: I don't feel that there's any practical use to a resistor program like that other than to perfect programming skills. A voltage divider program that includes load resistance and spits out standard resistor values would be more useful as it replaces a lot of calculation. A value-to-code program is poorly replacing something that I can do on-sight many times faster than turning on a computer, running a program, entering the values, .... For that part, one could almost say the same for the voltage divider program suggested above.

I guess when you've worked in electronics as long as I (and Ron) have, there's just some things that you have as a second language. Color code is one. Standard 5% values is another. Have those memorized? Yeah. Not deliberately, but just from constant use. 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 27, 30 .....

Dean

Last edited:
Dean,
Re: voltage divider design: I downloaded **broken link removed** and ran a brief test on it. It looks like it might be pretty useful. There are also several ratio calculators available online, which I have used on occasion, but this pot designer takes that a step farther.

Yeah, I also know all the 5% steps without thinking about them, and can read resistor values as if they were words, and not just individual numbers that have to be "translated".
Not bragging, it's just a skill developed due to many years of working and playing in electronics.

Ron

Roff said:
Yeah, I also know all the 5% steps without thinking about them, and can read resistor values as if they were words, and not just individual numbers that have to be "translated".
Not bragging, it's just a skill developed due to many years of working and playing in electronics.

I think most of here do. Actually, what would be useful in a "resistor" program, in addition to the colors, is the 1%, 2%, 5%, 10% and 20% tolerances and a way to relate it to voltage and current variations in circuit situations. That's something I've always had to manually calculate each time when the values tend to be more critical.

Another one that would be handy is a calculator for the series/parallel combinations used for linearizing a function (such as a photocell in a light measuring device or the thermistor in a temperature controller...analog, of course. Something where you'd only need to know the end resistances and, one or more intermediate values, of the range being measured and pop out the values of the resistors needed to linearize it.

positronicle said:
I hate that you are having problems connecting up. Here is a second location to try, in case the other link is having problems. I have noticed a connection problem, more than once, myself. Usually I only had to hit the reload button a time or two, in order to proceed. The webhosting is that I am using for the resistor app is free, so the level of service will probably not be the best. Maybe this extra link will help:

**broken link removed**

Thanks, I tried reloading the page many times, second link works. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back