Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistor Arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there,

Will using Resistor Arrays (especially that one of the chip DIP ones) actually simplify my breadboard/PCB projects? 'Cause I'll be using those 7-seg displays and a collection of LEDs. :D

Hi littletransistor,

using resistor arrays as current limiters for LED displays won't save any pin, because each resistor must be connected individually between the driver output and the segment to control. Of course an array will save some space, but the required space can be made the same sticking the single resistors vertically onto the board.

Arrays do make a lot of sense if one pin (common) is used to connect to VSS/ground and 8 are used to connect to logic inputs. In that case 8 resistors require 9 pins, whereas single resistors would require 16.

Boncuk

Will using Resistor Arrays (especially that one of the chip DIP ones) actually simplify my breadboard/PCB projects?

They're meant to save in production costs vs. using individual resistors when assembling boards in the factory. But that doesn't mean they can't be useful or even fun to use in one own's projects.

They are also useful when needing matched sets of resistors for things such as high precision op-amps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back