Reed Switch Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also like to know if this is a good way of sensing an object. Here is the circuit.

Attachments

• magswitch.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 188
Sure, magnets are a good way to flip a reed switch.

Well looking at a typical reed switch data sheet
**broken link removed**

they do seem to have bounce issues which may cause an input to your gate as shown in attached photo. This may present a problem depending on what your gate is driving like a flipflop, again may not.

If you wish to eliminate switch bounce issues read here.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• bouncy.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 172
The gate runs a MOSFET which runs a motor. Can bounce be acceptable? The magnet is on the door jam and the switch is on the front door. Door is either open or shut, and I don't think it will be an issue.

Last edited:
The gate runs a MOSFET which runs a motor. Can bounce be acceptable? The magnet is on the door jam and the switch is on the front door. Door is either open or shut, and I don't think it will be an issue.

The bounce should not be a big deal in such a case. But I do have concern about undershoot blowing your gates input. To be safe, I would add a RC shunt to ground on the gate. See image.

Attachments

• switchfilt.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 183
I have an x-tra D Flip Flop (1/2 74HC74). I think there is a way to use it. Is that 10k and 110 ohm's for the R's. Thanks

R1 and C1 is what I am talking about. They make up a filter and will reduce poop on your gates input Back in my design days, I would use that configuration a lot as a precaution.
You can ignore the rest of my circuit as I only meant to show the filter...

Is this a good way of eliminating bounce in the switch? Are the R's the right value? Or am I going about it all wrong?

Attachments

• magswitch.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 153
Is this a good way of eliminating bounce in the switch? Are the R's the right value? Or am I going about it all wrong?

hi,
OK, You should also ground 11/12 pins

I assume the resistors are pullups to +V.?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…