Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reed Switch Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

b_reagle

I would like to know the part number for a magnetic reed switch that handles around 20mA.

Last edited:
I would also like to know if this is a good way of sensing an object. Here is the circuit.

Attachments

• magswitch.jpg
    magswitch.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 186
Sure, magnets are a good way to flip a reed switch.

Well looking at a typical reed switch data sheet
**broken link removed**

they do seem to have bounce issues which may cause an input to your gate as shown in attached photo. This may present a problem depending on what your gate is driving like a flipflop, again may not.

If you wish to eliminate switch bounce issues read here.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• bouncy.gif
    bouncy.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 171
The gate runs a MOSFET which runs a motor. Can bounce be acceptable? The magnet is on the door jam and the switch is on the front door. Door is either open or shut, and I don't think it will be an issue.

Last edited:
The gate runs a MOSFET which runs a motor. Can bounce be acceptable? The magnet is on the door jam and the switch is on the front door. Door is either open or shut, and I don't think it will be an issue.

The bounce should not be a big deal in such a case. But I do have concern about undershoot blowing your gates input. To be safe, I would add a RC shunt to ground on the gate. See image.

Attachments

• switchfilt.gif
    switchfilt.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 182
I have an x-tra D Flip Flop (1/2 74HC74). I think there is a way to use it. Is that 10k and 110 ohm's for the R's. Thanks

R1 and C1 is what I am talking about. They make up a filter and will reduce poop on your gates input :) Back in my design days, I would use that configuration a lot as a precaution.
You can ignore the rest of my circuit as I only meant to show the filter...

Sounds good. Will it work 6vdc to 3 vdc. If so how do you determine R1's and C1's values?

Is this a good way of eliminating bounce in the switch? Are the R's the right value? Or am I going about it all wrong?

Attachments

• magswitch.jpg
    magswitch.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 152
Is this a good way of eliminating bounce in the switch? Are the R's the right value? Or am I going about it all wrong?

hi,
OK, You should also ground 11/12 pins

I assume the resistors are pullups to +V.?

Last edited:
Hi,
Yes, R's are used for pullups.
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back