Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Red LED Fader help

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about just connecting another two LEDs plus 100R resistor in parallel?

The base voltage of the transistor goes up to +6.5V. Its emitter goes up to 5.7v. Each red LED is about 1.8V so 2.1V is across the 100 ohms which is an LED current of 21mA.

Higher power LEDs have a higher voltage so the dimming will not be correct unless a higher battery voltage is used which will cause the transistor to get hot.

Use a 12V supply with 2.5V high power red LEDs.
The base of the transistor will go up to 8.7V. If the max LED current is 60mA then the transistor dissipates 198mW which is warm, not hot. The emitter voltage will go up to 7.9v and the current-limiting resistor will have 2.9V across it. For a max current of 60ma the resistor value should be 2.9V/60mA= 48.3 ohms. Use 51 ohms/one-quarter W.

could i get you to clarify so that even an art major could understand (because i am one, lol). Thanks a bunch for your help

I said what needs to be said. If you don't understand Geek-talk then do Art instead of Electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back