Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio to Microphone Jack Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technoman

I've hardly done anything electronic so you'll have to forgive me if I use improper vocabulary.

I want to connect my radio via its speaker ouput into my computer via its microphone jack. Here's my first problem. The cable I intend to modify for this purpose was a combination cable that was for a headphone/microphone combo. Upon review, I find myself with 5 wires with no clue as to which I should focus on. That's the first problem, my second is that my radio has 2 outputs per speaker and I've been told most microphones come with 3. I will try to post pictures, both of my cable ending and of the speaker ports so you can get a better visual of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance.

Cable Ending
**broken link removed**

Speaker Port
**broken link removed**

Judging by the presence of a "Super Woofer [tm]" jack on the back (LOL), I'm guessing that this isn't an El Cheapo radio. So, doesn't it have a headphone jack? That's what you're going to want to use if you can. Then all you need is a cable with 1/8" male ends on both sides and you're done. Simple.

Plugging in a raw wire from the computer like that and cranking up the speaker volume nice and loud isn't what you want to be doing. ;)

Plugging in a raw wire from the computer like that and cranking up the speaker volume nice and loud isn't what you want to be doing.

Opps.... :) So much for my trial and error.

It does have a headphone jack but it's for those special headphones with the jumbo size ending. Which I do have but I don't think my Dad would let me cut the ending off his OLD headphones... So the speaker option is really the best I can do at the moment.

Even the output from a headphones jack has way to high a level for a microphone input. An attenuator is needed just like if the signal came from a speaker output.

Ok... I looked up "attenuator" and there seems to be lots of types. My speaker output is 8 (ohms) as you might be able to see in the photo. What kind of attenuator do I need to get that to a microphone level?

The next obvious question after that is, how do I hook up any attenuator I get to those cables?

audioguru- You are the audio guru of course, although on my own equipment I've always risked it without problems. Ah, and perhaps aren't modern sound cards' single inputs combination line-level/microphone? (Not the mega SB live stuff, just your cheapo stuff)

I'd still just do it the simple way myself if it was my stuff. Ok, so you need a $2.00 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for that headphone jack. (Don't you have any lying around? It's really not a rare or "special" size.) And then you still need the very cheap male-male cable I mentioned. This has the advantage of being very convenient, and the parts can likely be found in your local megamart.

But anyway, no, the microphone connection on your computer only needs 2 contacts, not 3. You were likely thinking of more high-end mics with balanced connections, used in more professional settings and such.

If you still would like to figure out which two wires go to the appropriate plug on that combo cable of yours, that's easily done by using anything rigged up as a continuity tester, such as a battery, couple wires, and a flashlight bulb or battery tester.

Wow! I actually understand that! And to be honest, I've seen one of those adaptors around somewhere... I'll go out to Radioshack or something and find one of those two way cables... or make my own 8)

That should work... I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back