Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Struggling to find a right angle DC jack (1.3mm x 3.5mm male) that fits

TheJay

I realise that this is a very basic question to a lot of those on this forum and I am grateful for your time.

I ordered "1.3mm x 3.5mm Male Plug Right Angle L Jack DC Power Tip Connector"
51-iVwQjNML._AC_SX679_.jpg

The dimensions are correct for the tip. The body of the DC jack is far too big. I need something that's very similar to the dimensions of the moulded tip DC jack that came with the adapter I am using.

f1kQujX.jpg

There appeared to be very limited choice when I was looking and found these in the first place.

Please tell me there's a way to get a jack that's a similar size to the original that I can add?

Thank you very much for your time.

I realise that this is a very basic question to a lot of those on this forum and I am grateful for your time.

I ordered "1.3mm x 3.5mm Male Plug Right Angle L Jack DC Power Tip Connector"
51-iVwQjNML._AC_SX679_.jpg

The dimensions are correct for the tip. The body of the DC jack is far too big. I need something that's very similar to the dimensions of the moulded tip DC jack that came with the adapter I am using.

f1kQujX.jpg

There appeared to be very limited choice when I was looking and found these in the first place.

Please tell me there's a way to get a jack that's a similar size to the original that I can add?

Thank you very much for your time.

It's small because it's a moulded plug - you probably need to buy a lead with a suitable plug already moulded on it.

I'm impressed you even managed to find right angle plugs at all :D

Haha, thanks for the encouragement! It wasn't easy...

I have enough length to solder and heat shrink wrap, I just wanted to do it the tidiest way I could think of...

Perhaps I could make it modular by having some kind of male and female connectors so I can have the adapter cable different lengths and interchangeable. Any ideas on something discreet that's not dangerous?

I've found the style of connector I think is most suitable in my bits and pieces. It's reminded me that I needed to buy the proper crimper for the project I put aside more than two years ago. Unfortunately, it was so long ago I don't have the order in my history on eBay/Aliexpress.

Can someone please help me idenfity what the connector and the metal probes are so I can get the correct crimper? I tried using an aftermarket crimper before but the stuff is so small it never worked and I have over 18 connectors (each with 4 wires) = 72 to complete. I need the ones that take it from the tab and terminate it at the same time.

Is it JST? What size?

rYMfNrl.jpg

PgOScTO.jpg

tJmrN2I.jpg

I have a Preciva PR-3254 tool which is OK for a basic crimp with strain relief on various small terminals such as those, down to around 2mm pitch.

However if you use anything other than the connector makers exact matched tool for the specific terminal and wire size, I'd strongly advise also soldering the connection point after crimping, as generic tools are not guaranteed to give a gas-tight connection that will last long term without oxidising or corroding.

I've got that tool, these are so small I needed a microscope to see what I was doing and on a single connector, I would be able to get two crimped properly (taking about 30 minutes) before the remainder became impossible and it all slipped apart. I agree about having the right tool, I need to identify exactly what these are so I can get the makers exact tool.

It really is, especially when the connector is 1-2mm! The larger ones seen in car wiring are a lot easier.

I messaged JST and they said it's not one of theirs, they think it's a Molex PicoBlade. So, would it be reasonable to think it's a 1.25mm? If so, what Molex tool do I need?

They do indeed look like Molex Picoblade:

From what I can see, this is the "Official" Molex tool for those:

These, older, obsolete tools are also listed for those connectors, if you can find them anywhere on ebay etc.

&

I'm more surprised that it's just one tool that does both male & female crimps and a range of wire sizes!
Connector manufacturers often specify separate tooling for each combination, with each tool at around that price :grumpy:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back