Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM to DC converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaarvannan

I have a motor controller that outputs a Pulse Width Modulated signal. Though, this works just fine, it induces substantial amount of noise on nearby wires. So I was hoping to convert the PWM signal to an analog DC signal. The PWM signal is 60HZ and 36V. i.e. to run the motor at 50% of its speed I would have to send a 18V signal. What is the best way to get this done, with good response time and less noise. Thank you for your help.

sorry about that. I will try to explain this in a different way. This circuit will go in-between a motor controller (that outputs pulse width modulated signal) and a DC motor. So, instead of a square wave reaching the DC motor, I want a linear voltage to reach it. So if the PWM signal is on/high for 10% of the time, the corresponding linear voltage should be 3.6V(10% 0f 36V). thus producing the same effect on the DC motor. hope I made myself clear!

If the motor is DC and you want to Run the maximum speed so why are you using PWM controller?? directly give the supply of it rated one.

What you are trying to do is filter the output of the PWM controller to give a smooth DC to the motor.
What is the motor current?

Your filter will look like this, but the values will depend on the frequency, voltage, current and how much ripple you can accept.

Attachments

• fff.jpg
    fff.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 943
I do not want to run the maximum speed. I want to be able to controll the speed, that is why i use the PWM controller.

Thanks Pilko. The frequency is 60Hz, the voltage is 36V and the current rating of my motor is 3 Amps. I would like to keep the ripple current as low as possible. What are the values that you would suggest?

I need the motor to go forward and reverse. So the polarity of the input will change. Can I fix this just by adding another inductor on the bottom rung of the circuit?

we use a servo motor. Could you please email your response to the address I mentioned in the private message I sent you. Thanks.

I do not respond to requests for help via private messages.
If you need further help, ask on the forum so others may participate if they wish.

ok then. To answer your previous question. we use a servo motor. so what changed should i make to your original circuit to be able to drive the motor in both the directions.

Is the PWM you are trying to smooth, the main supply to the motor or the trigger pulses, if the latter, the pulses are required for positioning of the servo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back