Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM signal from PIC as opposed to PWM signal from function generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

variaseng

Hi! I'd like to ask what is the difference between the PWM signal produced from a function generator and a PWM signal produced by a PIC microcontroller. I am trying to produce PWM signals to drive a DC motor. This PWM signal is fed to the motor driver through a octal transceiver 74LS245. But when I try to drive it using the PWM signal from the PIC, it does not move as opposed to when I use the PWM signal from the function generator (PWM signals have the same amplitude, frequency and duty cycle). Thank you very much for your help!

I expect the PIC does not provide enough current. The PIC output is generally 25mA. To drive a motor you need to use the PIC signal on the base of a transistor to control a source of power with more current. A 2N2222 will provide about 750mA.
**broken link removed**

Attachments

• motordemotransistor.png
    motordemotransistor.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 3,660
Okay, thank you very much. I will try this and update. Another question, when I try to connect the PIC directly to the driver without the transceiver(74LS245), the motor moves okay. It's just when I drive the motor through the 74LS245 that I encounter a problem. Is the current still the problem here if this is the case? Thank you very much for your help!

Wow I sort of botched this up.

I read the post then promptly forgot about the 74LS245 and the motor driver.

What is the motor driver ?

How about a schematic showing how you have things connected. Words only go so far.

but: if the motor is not too large all you need to drive it from the pic is a transistor.

i have worked on such a project recently but my motors are really very heavy .... so i used FETs for motor PWM and they work really great ...

@ xainnasir,
It would be helpfull if you would post your schematic and motor specs.

Regards

pilko

Your pic may need a pull up resistor on the pin you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back