Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PWM & high current

Status
Not open for further replies.
In post # we got back to efficiency and emissions briefly. I wanted to make sure that fhe full scope of emission control was considered as you develop this new automotive power technology.

The NOx catalysts developed so far, require a precise amount of oxygen and very hot exhaust. So, the reconfiguring of the O2 sensor and the warm (not hot) exhaust pipe makes me wonder if anyone has measured NOx on these super-efficient cars.

It's my understanding that NOx was the primary reason the horizon was brown most of the time in the 1970's and '80's.

Let take a look

Newbie here. I am building a HHO system, fracturing water into the gaseous components and am using a constant current PWM to control the electrolysis cell. The circuit works fine at low currents, but I am shooting for 80 to 100 amps. I have doubled the mosfets and that part seems ok. The problem I have is the capacitor on the output & to the +12v terminal is overheating, melting wires, blowing the cap up. There is a diode across the terminals as well that is getting very hot too. Without getting into the design to heavy, can anyone answer me why there is so much heat build up in this part of the circuit. I will be happy to provide full schematics if need be. I don't want to write a long story here and waste anyone's time. Just wondering if any gurus out there may have a quick answer for such a problem.

Here are a couple ideas I am playing with. For the cap, can 2 caps be used in parallel? This would make it a 20,000uf cap right? And in general, with a diode, if I put 2 of those in parallel too, would this help? I'm willing to try anything suggested as I am a rookie when it comes to electronics.

This is a relatively new movement in alternative fuels, even though HHO has been known for over 100 years. The HHO gas is used to ad to the fossil fuel, doubling mpgs, if not even more. Good thing to explore, but I need to figure out why the cap gets so hot. Its a 10,000uf 63 volt, and only used on 12 volt car systems, so the larger voltage rating hasn't helped. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Let me see your schematics, MAYBE we can help you.

The original poster left a pointer to the schematics in August of 2009. See the first page of this thread.

I see that this thread has been dormant for 6 months but I read through it and have to share what I have. A number of years ago I ran across a patent for h2 fuel gas that may be of interest here. I pasted a bit of the title/etc to show the patent number so it can be researched if there is interest. As I recall it is a stepped voltage to increase efficiency of electrolysis.

United States Patent 4,936,961

Meyer June 26, 1990

Method for the production of a fuel gas
Abstract
A method for obtaining the release of a fuel gas mixture including hydrogen and oxygen from water in which the water is processed as a dielectric medium in an electrical resonant circuit.

Amfuel - patents don't have to work! Just because something was patented it doesn't mean it's viable. If hydrogen was easy/cheap to make this way why do they use a different way in industry?

shortbus - I wasn't saying it is good (or bad) I said I thought the information may be of interest here.

I really don't think H2 is the solution, at least for decades to come. There are too many issues with the taming of it.

If you have information that nullifies the validity of the patented method, please share it as I and possibly others would be interested to find out the facts.

What issues are involved with hydrogen that are so hard to work with other than gross public ignorance and misconceptions?

In industrial applications its a common gas and by all reasonable working conditions its far safer and more stable than many other fuels we use every day without even thinking about. Its not a regulated or controlled hazardous material so that means anyone can walk into a welding gas supply center and pick up a tank and do what ever they want with it. I even have one in my shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back