Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PSU(Meanwell IRM-01-5) protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyeda

Hello guys!

Since i am new here first I would like to apologize if i did draw this schematic wrong(i.e. lines do cross, etc.).It is a few days that i am using this online editor so i am still in the learning process and need to gain a bit more expirience.

I created followed circuit:555 timer in astable mode that will power up 8 leds(blink 4 by 4). When output of timer goes high first 4 leds will be on(it stays on about 0,69x(1k+470k)x2,2 uF), and when output of timer goes low remaining leds will be on(0,69x470kx2,2 uF). At the same time i hook up LED light bulb(10 W) via 5V relay with 230 V mains. Idea is that this LED bulb will light up every time when switch is pressed, and turned off with another switch press(i am aware that i have wrong switch on schematic)

Current in a circuit is aprox. 110 mA

As you can see i am powering my circuit with PSU: MEAN WELL IRM-01-5.

In its datasheet i can see that it has over voltage protection(OVP), overload protection(OLP), short circuit protection(SCP), but i didn´t find anything about OTP(over temperature protection).

I am assuming that these kind of protections protect only a 5V side, but what is with 230V side?

Since i am planing to put my regulator,PCB with all components, and relay inside a box and it would be human operated i need it to be safe as much as possible.

So my question are as follows:

1.How and is there any need to protect PSU from 230 V mains? Fuse, crowbar,…?

2. Is it smart to protect it with some OTP(overtemperature) device like thermistor or similar?

I am very grateful for any advice and help.

Attachments

• Schematic.png
    Schematic.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 242
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back