Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

project small generator 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are trying to create a small powerfull generator homemade :nailbiting:
so far we've manage to lighting a 7 W light bulb 230 V

Attachments

• small generator 3.jpg
    small generator 3.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 362
What on earth is that all about?

You spent 4min 30sec shuffling the parts around, 30 sec showing that a light comes on.

Zero time describing your "generator" and what is special about it.

JimB

it is the first atempt of a small generator homemade that generates "high voltage", so far we've managed to light up A 7w light bulb.

we are looking forward to improve our device for more power. It is an open project where everybody can contribute.
in the movie description of " small generator 2 " are details and observations - science toolbar youtube channel.

thx science toolbar

I think its a motor making another motor from a magnetized steel ball in a coil............ Just pwm the motor and use the back emf to light the bulb...#

Even for a OU device its pretty erm...... well its kind of....

Believe this or not, you have wasted more energy using the rotating ball than if you had simply used the back emf from the first motor. Its not magic honestly.

small generator homemade -"small generator" - AC generator - A diffrent approach
Things I used to create the generator in the movie:

3V Dc motor + plastic stalk ( inside “2 function toy” cars both parts; plastic stalk is used to fix the case of the toy car)
7w AC led light bulb+ E 27 socket lead+ wires
3,7 v - 600 mah Li-Po battery ( mini drones)
Neodymium magnet sphere diameter 12.7 mm + neodymium magnet screw thread ( just the metallic case needed – without the inside magnet)
Copper coil (inside microwave oven turntable motor)
Construction kit (toys) plastic and metal–used for the coil and the 3v dc motor holder
Power switch.
Important observations regarding "small generator":
1. the angle between the coil and the rotating sphere it is a must - like in the presented video -otherwise the output voltage will be low
2. The position of the neodymium sphere magnet on the metallic case is a must-like in the video - otherwise the output voltage it will be low (“metal socket”) N-S – I establish the position with a small iron screw.
3. I used nonmagnetic materials for the coil holder area otherwise the magnetic components will influence, in the bad way, the rotation of the sphere (like a magnetic brake+ the attraction force )

Observations: different types of DC motors, diffrent copper coils, diffrent batteries, diffrent neodymium magnets we obtained different voltages. RPM - important factor.

Note:
using magnetic sphere - 2 poles - high RPM nedeed for high voltage - like in the movie
we will try to use more magnets on a sphere to obtain the same voltage at low RPM
also a liquied or a gas between the sphere and the coil can give a better "yield"

PS: we have 5 movies on the science toolbar channel all related.

"small generator 3" homemade project is looking forward for ideas to improve the small generator for educational purpose.

thx: science tools

High voltage small motors produce more electric at lower RPM. China does a small motor that will kick out 90V DC at ~6000 RPM.

Stack two coils with a gap, play with angle....... stand the coils on their side and move the rotating magnet in and out.

No idea if your aware or not, you can build a 7Kv generator from some aluminium foil, a couple of plastic tubs and a fast dripping water tap. Its enough kick to feel it, there should be a couple of you tubes on it.

Ok I am saying no more :s

Well shiney parts that spin real fast and designs that work on very poorly understood, by its maker, electrical principles is a fairly standard design criteria for OU/Free Energy device construction and claims. :rolleyes:

So is using a ill defined measurement quantization concepts such as 'how much brighter or dimmer a arbitrarily chosen light looks' to the unaided eye Vs using real application specific and accurate test and measurement devices to design a system real power and energy inputs Vs their real outputs. :facepalm:

it is not free energy. it is not a pm. it is just a different view regarding a small simple generator homemade without electronic parts. it is project like linux where everybody can contribute with ideas to improve the small generator for educational purpose. wish to help us to go further?

it is not free energy. it is not a pm. it is just a different view regarding a small simple generator homemade without electronic parts. it is project like linux where everybody can contribute with ideas to improve the small generator for educational purpose. wish to help us to go further?
I know I should walk away........But this is almost like a certain SF user thread!

Ok start by telling us what you understand of your generator, its fine if you havnt got a clue whats going on. TBH its better you say 'I dont have a clur' than it is to say I captured space waves, if you get my drift.

Then tell us what you want to achieve, you see the problem is you think this is a different type of generator, but its actually the bare bones of the principle behind generators, which is why I guess Jim said " what makes it special".

Having said that.............. Depending on your views and what you want to achieve, this might be some fun.

And my last but most important question............

How much experience do you have? You dont need any, but I would really like to know.

Sorry if we seemed a bit harsh, I dunno yet if harsh is deserved or not :D.

Hi LG

A few observations of my own .. .. .. .

Ok start by telling us what you understand of your generator,

He did ! In post # 5 in some detail .. .. .. .

you see the problem is you think this is a different type of generator,

When did he say that ? It was JimB who raised the question of 'something special'

Then tell us what you want to achieve,

He did that too ! .. .. .. .. .In a number of places .. .. ..

where everybody can contribute with ideas to improve the small generator for educational purpose. wish to help us to go further?

He wanted to learn about the generator !

Sorry if we seemed a bit harsh, I dunno yet if harsh is deserved or not

.. .. .. .. but you'll do it anyway.

Speaking as another novice who probably understands less about small motor generators than this OP, I'll be surprised if this guy is foolish enough to come back again after all the mickey taking he's been offered so far.

Just a thought .. :)

S

Hi LG

A few observations of my own .. .. .. .

He did ! In post # 5 in some detail .. .. .. .

When did he say that ? It was JimB who raised the question of 'something special'

He did that too ! .. .. .. .. .In a number of places .. .. ..

He wanted to learn about the generator !

.. .. .. .. but you'll do it anyway.

Speaking as another novice who probably understands less about small motor generators than this OP, I'll be surprised if this guy is foolish enough to come back again after all the mickey taking he's been offered so far.

Just a thought .. :)

S
Hi MM

Sorry I think you misunderstood what I was asking, so likely the OP has as well.

The first question I was trying to see what he understood of the principles behind the generator he had made. His post read to me like he felt he had discovered something unusual. Or to put it better, I was trying to see how much knowledge he had of generators. If you read some of my stuff lately, you will know I am messing about with different forms of energy generation. My interest is purely that, and also a wish to see if a method of supplying some of our own electric is possible.

Also his post said what he had observed, not what he understood of the observations, little point explaining electro magnetism to someone well clued up on it! I cant work out by his posts how much he actually knows or not, clearly he is intelligent but that has nothing to do with knowledge. I am intelligent but I dont have a huge amount of knowledge.

Yes Jim made the special comment, I was explaining why the responses were what they were. If you read the first post it is written like it is a new discovery, but on the other hand by post five it is written differently. So I have zero idea how much he knows or not. I suspect I am not alone in that.

My question still stands, what does he want to achieve? A better generator than exists, or has he something else in mind?? I know he wants to explore what he has observed, but that dosnt tell me what the end goal is. Is it just to explore principles?? And by the end of post five its more confusing, he mentions helping with it. WITH WHAT? What is he trying to develop? It isnt a more efficient generator, so it would help to know exactly what he sees as the end point.

Your wrong with the whole he wants to learn about the generator, where is that mentioned?

What he said was "where everybody can contribute with ideas to improve the small generator for educational purpose. wish to help us to go further?"

Improve in what way? It is one of the most inefficient ways of doing it, BUT i offered some ideas like adding another coil a little distance from the first. So no idea why you feel I need picking up on that. I still want to know what he considers improvement or the end goal. Who is US? US and educational in the same sentence is very often going down the OU route! It came across as someone who thinks they are discovering a new technology and a select few are going to solve the world power crisis..........

Why did I sound harsh??? I said sorry, and was totally open about not knowing if he has an interest in generators or is a OU nuter.

In all honesty if anything I have said puts him off coming back, then he isnt going to last long on the net is he! 99% of Electronics forums out there would have ripped him to shreds for the first post. At least I read what he replied and responded to it, more than most others did, including yourself. I dont mind being lectured, but maybe you should offer him some thoughts on improvements before taking me to task?

While we are at it, why in particular did you decide to pick my post apart (considering I was asking reasonable questions) and not mention a single other post? What exactly upset you about my response? I honestly dont get the motive.

As above I will expand on this..................

the problem is you hear the motor change pitch as the light is plugged in, if the current was measured I am betting the losses are horrible. I improving it to make a powerful generator is not going to happen, but if he wants to explore some other routes that might actually cost less to run then fine. No i dont mean more out than in, but I mention the semi dripping tap generator. Rain water in a tank in the loft can run lights for a good while, yes you have to put the water in, but you dont pay for the electric. So in that sense its free and legal, having said that if he fully understands the generator isnt going to be efficient in the true sense. Then sure I wouldnt mind messing with it, its interesting technology but has zero application, it cant be made efficient enough to be remotely practical.

Look OP

If you just want to try different generation techniques then count me in, if you seriously want to make this into a practical method of energy generation then count me out. That is what I was trying to get at in my original post!

Hopefully everyone is now happy and understands where I am coming from.

I have just watched the video again, and I am sorry that I cannot find anything good about it.

1. the angle between the coil and the rotating sphere it is a must - like in the presented video -otherwise the output voltage will be low
Do you understand why?
My best guess is that it is to do with the direction of the magnetic field in relation to the turns on the coil.

"small generator 3" homemade project is looking forward for ideas to improve the small generator for educational purpose.
My suggestion is that you make something which is more like a conventional generator and compare the efficiency of the conventional generator against the efficiency of the generator which you show here.

JimB

Morning

In all honesty if anything I have said puts him off coming back, then he isnt going to last long on the net is he! 99% of Electronics forums out there would have ripped him to shreds for the first post.

Yes, that's certainly true and also what makes ETO stand proud amongst the rest - I mean, be fair, it took 10 posts on ETO !

At least I read what he replied and responded to it, more than most others did, including yourself.

Yes, that's certainly true also .. .. "Just pwm the motor and use the back emf to light the bulb..."

Of course, we can be sure he'll know what pulse width modulation and back electromotive force is and have a working knowledge of the circuitry needed to create such situation.

Reading from his first few posts .. .. ..

I think he is an ESOL candidate;
I don't think he understands why the setup he created generated enough power to light his 7w bulb, but I think he wants to;
I don't think his motive is to put together a counter strategy to the EGB's of the world, but simply to learn about generators .. that is what 'educational purposes' means, isn't it ? Someone said the other day that they asked a man for directions to a place and his reply was 'Well, if I was going there, I wouldn't start from here' .. .. and that may be very true in this case, but doing otherwise requires prior knowledge or guidance, neither of which has he got.

I've been following this thread because I would also like to learn about generators, I probably know less about them than the OP, but ended up disappointed.

My apologies if you think I was picking on you, or trying to deliver a lecture .. not, nor ever will be, my intention.

Most people on here know that I am very good at coming up with 'crack pot' schemes in my quest for an understanding of electronics and as a result I know only too well the difference between an explanation with humility and one with ridicule.

S

Any change in the magnetic environment of a coil of wire will cause a voltage (emf) to be "induced" in the coil. No matter how the change is produced, the voltage will be generated. The change could be produced by changing the magnetic field strength, moving a magnet toward or away from the coil, moving the coil into or out of the magnetic fieeld. - Farady's Law

It is not a SF subject. Yes my wish is to go further for educational purpose "small generator 3". It is not only for enginneers and electricians..... maybe someone will discover something more important inside it.

In 1774, Priestley repeated Scheele’s experiments using a 12-inch-wide glass "burning lens", he focused sunlight on a lump of reddish mercuric oxide in an inverted glass container. The gas emitted, he found, was "five or six times as good as common air." (1) In succeeding tests, it caused a flame to burn intensely and kept a mouse alive about four times as long as a similar quantity of air.

thx science toolbar

My question still stands, what does he want to achieve? A better generator than exists, or has he something else in mind?? I know he wants to explore what he has observed, but that dosnt tell me what the end goal is. Is it just to explore principles?? And by the end of post five its more confusing, he mentions helping with it. WITH WHAT? What is he trying to develop? It isnt a more efficient generator, so it would help to know exactly what he sees as the end point.

That right there is what should be the #! defining point in the design.

What is the definable input and what is the intended output?

All I see right now is a very overly complicated voltage step up system.

In 1774, Priestley repeated Scheele’s experiments using a 12-inch-wide glass "burning lens", he focused sunlight on a lump of reddish mercuric oxide in an inverted glass container. The gas emitted, he found, was "five or six times as good as common air." (1) In succeeding tests, it caused a flame to burn intensely and kept a mouse alive about four times as long as a similar quantity of air.

So what does producing oxygen in 1774 have to do with the principles of electrical power generation today?

Tell us your intended input power source specifications and what output you want and countless people here will tell you exactly how to achieve it and likely with far greater efficiency than you are doing it now.

Tell us your intended input power source specifications and what output you want and countless people here will tell you exactly how to achieve it and likely with far greater efficiency than you are doing it now.
A good principle to work from.
But,
that assumes that the object of the exercise is to produce an efficient generator.

Often here on ETO, someone comes along wanting to know how to build some widget or another, and the cry goes up "It is easier and cheaper to buy one from China".
Which is often quite true if the object of the exercise is to just have a widget.
However, if the object of the exercise is to learn about widgets, how they work, how to build one, then buying one from China is not the answer.

I think that the OPs intention was to learn something about generators and to experiment a little bit.
However, his video at the start of this thread goes nowhere to explaining what he is doing or why.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back