Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programming a PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinksteR

Hi, anyone is familiar with PLC programming? I have a 4/6 PLC and i want to use it to do some particular functions but i have no clue of how to program it. In which language it has to be coded?
Thanks

What make and type ?

You'll have to get software from the manufacturer and that's not cheap.

Do not regard a PLC as a hardware of the level of microprocessors, it is a complete computer system within itself with defined architecture (usually kept secret by manufacturers). To program it u will have to buy the software from the manufacturer.

It's a Crouzet Millenium PLC. It has 6 inputs and 4 outputs.
I downloaded the software from their page, which is free, but seems little tricky, anyone is familiar with this specific PLC?

The language use to program PLC is different than microcontrollers
Normally PLC is programed with Laddder logic (which is very basic programming language for PLCs), Now PLCs also support programming with Function Block digrams (FBD), Sequence FLow Chart (SFC), and some also supports BASIC and C
Do you have any knowledge about above languages? (they are pretty simple but you need to know how to use them)
try learning from sites like
www.plcs.net
www.learningpit.com

Instruite

Can you give sequence of operation or more information I will do programming for you, as I have software.
Riyazahmad

i do plc programming for living (AB, Omron, Mitsubishi, Siemens, Modicon etc.).
as one of the earlier posts states you will need programming software
package (it is not always just one program) for particular model and proper programming interface (often just a cable but not always). Most of the plcs are programmed in ladder logic while there are other languages off course. For example you can get PLCs nowdays that can be programmed in a mix of languages like ladder, function block, structured text, sequence flow chart etc.
software packages differ in functionality and price (often few thousand dollars per licence although there are cheaper ones like from Automation Direct etc.). This is what makes you really concerned about your laptop.
You might loose (or have it stolen) your precious $4k Dell - but it's the $15-50k worth of software installed on it that makes the loss significant (depending on how many platforms you have to support).
You can go to www.meau.com and download GX Developer 8.xx for free. It will work without licence for 15 days (after that you'll have to lighten your wallet). It will give you good idea what's plc programming like.
on the light side, there are so called "smart relays" that have only few I/O. they can normally be programed using tiny LCD and buttons on front of the unit (Lego, Alpha etc.). what do you have?

The software isn't the problem as i found it in Crouzet website, link, it's a small 30mb piece of freeware software.
It seems simple but still i cant make the things i need, im not familiar with the functions and the logic controllers.
Does anyone of you guys can help me with this software to design the functions i need?
Thanks a lot guys

Im trying to make some tests with the software. I can do simple things, but more advanced things are out of my range...
I'll keep trying, if anyone can give a hand it would be great!

Hmm your system is pretty simple
The program can be done in one rung of ladder logic itself (if my understanding of your schematic is right)
So let me confirm abt the schematic first
You wan the buzzer and Leds to be ON when any of the photo detector is not receving light or panic button is hit or all the reed switches are ON.
If I am right then the above line is your whole program :)
Tell me what is the purpose of reed switches?
As far as software is concerened I cannot download that at my work place so you will have to wait till I get home and check the software

instruite, what u saying is almost correct, the reed switches are for the doors/windows security, so i put them with a magnet and if door/windows is closed the reed switch is closed. Then if one of the doors/windows gets open the reed switch will be open and the alarm will trigger.

The logic of the circuit is pretty simple, but im having problems with the programming of it.
And the other thing it that the program wont be as simple as u say, it'll have an activation code, a zone activation/deactivation, display when a zone is triggered (even when alarm isnt activated), etc..
In my opinion i should assemble the "main" part of the alarm system in first place, and then i should add those other things i said.

this is not a real PLC, it's so called smart relay. I've never used crouzet but it looks a lot like Alpha from Mitsubishi (and probably it IS the same thing with just a diferent label on it). You can find manuals and VL software on web as well (might be better read than what you have).

Alpha is programmed in FBD and you can enter code using the buttons on front of the unit. Unfortunatelly this is very difficult unless you have cretaed and tested logic in software (Mitsubishi software has simulate mode). Programming cable for Alpha was almost as expencive as the device itself but it is way easier to do. Programming port is under blue plastic cover on the left side. It is a tiny white connector with 4 or 5 pins (don't remember anymore, didn't see it in ages....).

Program looks a lot like TTL or CMOS diagram and each node is one bit.
You get inverters and if I remember all gates are with 4 inputs
(you don't have to use them all).

Anyway, I'll install the software, make sample code and post it as screenshot...

Similar units that use Ladder are MUCH simpler to program although less functional. For example one rung of ladder logic can have maximum three contact and coil in one line and i think maximum number of branches is three.

PinksteR,
Did you tried using the wizard in the software
using that you will be able to configure some part of your logic easily (this will help you to understand FBD language)
I just went through the software yesterday but due to lack of time cld not do the programming.
Like panic mode i will also try to post some screenshots for you

here is a sample logic for your controller.

just drop blocks you want, tie them together, tie inputs and outputs
and configure blocks that are not fixed (there is nothing you can change on inverter for example, except comment). I clicked on Boolean block
and you can see dialog to configure it. You can create logic inside the block using provided operators. I think this is selfexplanatory.

Attachments

• vl_fbd.gif
    vl_fbd.gif
    170.5 KB · Views: 1,165
here is more:

Attachments

• vl_fbd2.gif
    vl_fbd2.gif
    31.4 KB · Views: 909
  • vl_fbd3.gif
    vl_fbd3.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 869