Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmers

Status
Not open for further replies.
YAN-1 said:
Being new to this business, I am facing some trouble in picking a programmer to buy. I worked with the PIC start plus at the university and it was good. But I only seem to find 2 brands here: one that looks poorly made (it's on a PCB!) and another expensive one called 'BeeProg'. It is supposed to be good. Has any of you heard of it before?
Basically, a programmer simply downloads computer data to the chip so that the next time, the chip is turned on in a non-programming state, the instructions you have sent get executed.

First of all, you need to decide what chip you want to use and why. Also, you need to determine how many external devices (it could even be a beeper) you want to connect to the chip, and how much memory your program needs.

Once you have done that, you will then need to determine your electronic budget. In other words, determine the amount of money you want to put aside for electronics.

If you have enough, it is best to buy a programmer that can program your chip. If your budget is low, then you may have to make one yourself. There are websites that assist in making your own as well as buying one. Start with Google.

YAN-1 said:
I also have a stupid question: does the programmer affect the software to be used?

It depends on how the programmer is designed. In most cases, no. The manufacturer of the programmer supplies the software. The only way you are required to use the software provided by the manufacturer is if: a) some special password must be sent down to the programmer before it can become active and/or b) some special characters must be received before the programmer becomes active.

The reliability of your own programmer is dependent on your experience. If you happen to be one of those guys who think that connecting the line to the ground of an ac socket is a good idea, then buy a programmer.

However, building your own has great advantages. You get to set up timings, circuit size, and more. and when building one, please use a computer and a parallel port. I find them the easiest to work with.

If you don't use a computer, you will either have to set the bits by hand (could take a day to program the chip), or use a keyboard, and figure the codes out.

I think for you, buying a programmer is better.

YAN-1 said:
i see. i guess i will build one if i can't find the PIC start plus. but if i build one, how can i still use MPLAB?

If you build a programmer, build the software. I can't see any commercial software working with home made programmers. You will also need to learn the instruction set involved with the chip.

A friend would like to start programming PICs, as Dontronics does not sell the parallel programmer anymore , can anyone recommend a source for a premade programmer , that uses the parallel port , and runs Winpicprog?

YAN-1 said:
I also have a stupid question: does the programmer affect the software to be used?

The question is not stupid but the answer someone(could be myself!) posted here definitely is.

The programmer, if bought, requires you to use the software developed for that particular programmer by the manufacturer. Anyone telling you not is talking pure bullsh** . The reason is that each programmer is built differently and software from other sources would not work.

The only exception is that the manufacturer clearly stated that their product CAN work with certain versions of software from other external sources.

You biggest worry is what happens to your programmer if new chips comes out and the manufacturer stop supporting the old programmers by NOT releasing new software for it.

eblc1388 said:
You biggest worry is what happens to your programmer if new chips comes out and the manufacturer stop supporting the old programmers by NOT releasing new software for it.
That's why I like MPLAB supported programmers, they are always up-to-date OR use freeware programming SW (such as Nigels WinPicPro, if you want some PIC to be supported, just Send Nigel the chip you want to get supported and he will hopefully make a new version of WinPicPro that supports it).

williB said:
A friend would like to start programming PICs, as Dontronics does not sell the parallel programmer anymore , can anyone recommend a source for a premade programmer , that uses the parallel port , and runs Winpicprog?

Hiya Willi,
I checked out kitsrus for you and they have stopped selling parrallel port programmers too, but on oshonsofts website is a schematic for one. Take a look mate it wont be hard to make it up as I don't think you can buy them anymore.

Cheers Bryan :D

bryan1 said:
williB said:

Hiya Willi,
I checked out kitsrus for you and they have stopped selling parrallel port programmers too, but on oshonsofts website is a schematic for one. Take a look mate it wont be hard to make it up as I don't think you can buy them anymore.

williB said:
bryan1 said:
williB said:

Hiya Willi,

not sure why you're so hung up on parallel port, but here's a page with alot of good programmers...
**broken link removed**

parallel programmer on there is 25$, says it works with Nigel Goodwins software

(i've used that site a few times now, its really good)
... its based in colorado, but i think they ship world wide. i'm sure they'd accomadate if you emailed them anyways.

I got a good Velleman kit (K8048) from www.maplin.co.uk. It uses RS-232 serial and I haven't had a single problem with it! It's about £20, comes with a pic, but supports 8,14,18 and 28 pin pics! It has a few switches, and LEDs to test your work out on too.

Not bad. Well I'm happy anyway!

plot said:
williB said:
bryan1 said:
williB said:

Hiya Willi,

not sure why you're so hung up on parallel port, but here's a page with alot of good programmers...
**broken link removed**

parallel programmer on there is 25$, says it works with Nigel Goodwins software

(i've used that site a few times now, its really good)
... its based in colorado, but i think they ship world wide. i'm sure they'd accomadate if you emailed them anyways.

i'm not really stuck on the parallel port it is just that i know that they are less expensive than the newer USB ones.. and $25 is perfect thanks.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back