Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Product specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
I don't know what you are like, but when I buy a new item I will spend hours investigating and reading reviews. All the advertising bull just passes me by. If I'm buying a car I don't want to know that it will chage my life, pull birds (girls) and get me a super job. I just want to know, how reliable, how many MPG, and how fast.

But these days, actual performace date is very rare and, when it is given, imeaningless. This is very much the case on Ebay and to a lesser extent Amazon.

Elerion and I are both looking for bench PSUs. He wants 0 to 15V variable at a couple of Amps for op amps logic etc, and I'm looking for some blood-and-thunder; 0 to 30V at 10A. While searching for suitable PSUs, I came across this gem of a specification. Is it me, or is it somewhat defficient:

Power Supply 0-15V 2A with USB, internal voltmeter and ampermeter LEVELPRO1502U UK plug

Power Supply 0-15V 2A with USB, internal voltmeter and ampermeter LEVELPRO1502U UK plug

Specifications:

Power Supply 0-15V 2A with USB, internal voltmeter and ampermeter LEVELPRO1502U

1.Have USB interface

2.Can testing GSM mobile phone signal

3.Have circuit protection

Technical details:

Output voltage 0-15V and 0-5V adjustable,

Max overload is 2A (enough 2A), USB data interface and flashing interface design.

Have overload protect/short circuit protect/Buzzer alarm/Automatic recovery

and so on function. Voltage stability (full power is very useful for testing and repair)

Output voltage:0-15V 0-5V

Current: 0-2A

USB interface 5V output directly can be connected to computer and it is ready for device programming.

To mobile phone power supply and data transmission

Can be test GSM mobile phone signal.

Output voltage double mode:

Mode 1:

output voltage:0-15V (adjustable)

Current range:0-2A (full 2A)

Suitable 0~15V/0~2A machine power offer and charging.

Mode 2:

Output voltage:0-5V (adjustable)

Current range:0-2A (full 2A)

suitable 0~5V/0~2A machine power offer and charging, especially to mobile phone power offer and charging.

Output voltage stability:

5V Voltage limit: the effective protect mobile phone no damage by overload voltage.

Manufacturer warranty - 24 months.

Bildes

$_1.JPG

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Does it have a USB interface? :rolleyes:

As for pulling the birds, you will have no problem with this PSU, they will build a nest with all that electric straw in no time! :eek:

JimB

Does it have a USB interface? :rolleyes:

Not to sure about the USB, the spec is a bit vague on that aspect. But if it has, it will be really really usful for charging/fixing, cell phones, GSM, tablets, ebooks ....

As for pulling the birds, you will have no problem with this PSU, they will build a nest with all that electric straw in no time! :eek:

Wouldn't help me; I have fogotton how they work :oops:

Last edited:
Not to sure, the spec is a bit vague on that aspect. But is it has it will be really really usful for charging/fixing, cell phones, GSM, tablets, ebooks ....

Wouldn't help me; I have fogotton how they work :oops:

Where is it manufactured? China? If so, be afraid, be very afraid. They are usually up to no good when selling products. They have poisoned many with their food exports, and regularly sell shoddy goods. I avoid them like the plague. https://althealthworks.com/7761/pla...d-it-can-cause-serious-health-problemsyelena/

Ratch

Wow Ratch,

That's a bit frightning?

Know what you mean about China goods.

But I have used heaps of their electronic stuff, and if you pick and choose, you can get some incredible bargins: for example 1A SMPSU board at £1 UK, including PP all the way from HK.

I also bought a highish end DAC amp: incredibly good design, build and support... and it also sounds superb. About 0.3333333% of equivalent UK equipment and it is built better too. Oh yeah, and sounds better.

About the PSUs, the pair of 0V to 30V 10A versions that I will probably get are absolute junk build, but I dont care. I would pay the price asked just for the case. They have a cooling fan that sounds like a Boeing 747 staring up; that will be the first thing that will be replaced. The next will be the heatsinking for the 2n3055 pass transistor. These PSUs also produce a positive voltage glitch at turn-on, not sure how I will fix that yet, but should be pretty straight-forward. The beauty of them, apart from the cost, is low tech, which is compatable with my low tech brain.

Sometimes I buy a handfull of modules just for the components, especially res capacitors, where one capacitor as a component costs about 2x the cost of four on a board.

The Chinese are very clever and make excellent design engineers, but there is the other side to some Chinese products; rip-offs are my big moan, especially batteries, big caps, and power trans, BJT and MOSFET.

The other thing I have found, even buying from Ebay, is that they immediately sort any problems. But once again you have to choose your vendor. :smug:

**broken link removed**

5A version but similar design- you can see the guts:

Last edited:
Where is it manufactured? China? If so, be afraid, be very afraid.

I agree. But,... most electronic items are manufactured there. Even from big/important companies. Even an iPhone or high end tech is usually built on Asia.
That fact, on its own, is not determinant. Don't you think?

I agree. But,... most electronic items are manufactured there. Even from big/important companies. Even an iPhone or high end tech is usually built on Asia.
That fact, on its own, is not determinant. Don't you think?

Asia is not just China. I did not say I would avoid all of Asia.

Ratch

Wow Ratch,

That's a bit frightning?

Know what you mean about China goods.

But I have used heaps of their electronic stuff, and if you pick and choose, you can get some incredible bargins: for example 1A SMPSU board at £1 UK, including PP all the way from HK.

I also bought a highish end DAC amp: incredibly good design, build and support... and it also sounds superb. About 0.3333333% of equivalent UK equipment and it is built better too. Oh yeah, and sounds better.

About the PSUs, the pair of 0V to 30V 10A versions that I will probably get are absolute junk build, but I dont care. I would pay the price asked just for the case. They have a cooling fan that sounds like a Boeing 747 staring up; that will be the first thing that will be replaced. The next will be the heatsinking for the 2n3055 pass transistor. These PSUs also produce a positive voltage glitch at turn-on, not sure how I will fix that yet, but should be pretty straight-forward. The beauty of them, apart from the cost, is low tech, which is compatable with my low tech brain.

Sometimes I buy a handfull of modules just for the components, especially res capacitors, where one capacitor as a component costs about 2x the cost of four on a board.

The Chinese are very clever and make excellent design engineers, but there is the other side to some Chinese products; rip-offs are my big moan, especially batteries, big caps, and power trans, BJT and MOSFET.

The other thing I have found, even buying from Ebay, is that they immediately sort any problems. But once again you have to choose your vendor. :smug:

**broken link removed**

5A version but similar design- you can see the guts:

If they copied what HP did, the clicking you hear is probably the switching of the power transformer taps. I think HP does it electronically, but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, If you want higher voltages, then you can change two transformer taps to fewer turns in the primary and more turns in the secondary. Get the idea?

Ratch

Hi Ratch,

The clicks you hear are relays slecting different taps on the mains transformer. It is a fairly common technique to keep the dissipation of the series pass 2N3055 reasonable- not sure hp invented it.

Last edited:
This is another PSU that I am looking at. Very good but being a SMPS there is 100mV pp hash on the supply line- a pretty standard figure for SMPs, but not expensive lab types. I'm tooing and frowing between the inelegant but low noise linear and the well designed dirt cheap small and light switcher- might buy a switcher for the hell of it; they cost less than a decent meal!

Last edited:
This tear-down and shoot-out between a $8 Chinese PSU and an $85 Corsel Japanise PSU made me laugh. The Chinese version is not only a tenth of the cost and a third of the size, but it perfomed better. Also, what wasn't mentioned, is that the resistors and other commponents middle top on the Corsel are touching; that is a recipe for disaster. It is also unforgiveable because it is an unforced goof. They are just relying on the insulation of the finish, particularly the resistors, to stop the whole thing shorting out. Vibration/heat/ high voltage would do it. The number of times I have seen that lead to disaster. And you have to ask why is it done like that.

Incidentally, it is ironic that a Japanese PSU should be considered as a good established product- at one ttime Japanese products were considered to be cheap, junk, imports just like with Chinese products now. It was all inuendo and the complete opposite to fact. For example, take Japanese motorbikes in the early 1960s;. when Honda first imported their bikes, the UK riders, me included, laughed at them. We didn't laugh for long!

Honda Super Hawk CB77 1962_305cc_blue_ (03)_mod02.png

Last edited:
If you buy chinese stuff, open it and see if at least ground is where it should be (some products have ground and live...REVERSED) and other odd stuff like capacitors backwards, any obvious.

Hi fezder,

Like I said, you have to chose your product and vendor wisely, and even then you have to know what you are doing. If you look at the 0 to 30V 10A SMPSU it is well designed and built, even got fibregass FR4 PCB. There is a load of junk products from all parts of the world, even the UK, especially before the Japanese and then Chinese invasion. Many of the Brit designed and made cars were unbelivably bad- many unbelivably good too.

I never think that you can judge anything or anybody by the the country of origon. It's merit that counts. As I have alredy said, I have some products, especially my DAC amp, where the design and bult are simply superb, by any standards. Also, the Chinese open frame SMPSU in the review above is another example of good design and build. Some of the best engineers in the States are Chinese. The Chinese have always been a clever nation.

Hi fezder,

Like I said, you have to chose your product and vendor wisely, and even then you have to know what you are doing. If you look at the 0 to 30V 10A SMPSU it is well designed and built, even got fibregass FR4 PCB. There is a load of junk products from all parts of the world, even the UK, especially before the Japanese and then Chinese invasion. Many of the Brit designed and made cars were unbelivably bad- many unbelivably good too.

I never think that you can judge anything or anybody by the the country of origon. It's merit that counts. As I have alredy said, I have some products, especially my DAC amp, where the design and bult are simply superb, by any standards. Also, the Chinese open frame SMPSU in the review above is another example of good design and build. Some of the best engineers in the States are Chinese. The Chinese have always been a clever nation.

But, who wants to spend all that time and effort ferreting out the gold from the dirt? I still aver that products from China at this time have the highest disappointment rate than any other high volume exporter. Anything that fits through the factory door get shipped out.

Ratch

Re: disappointment rate
Do you have data on that, or is it just your biased opinion? Are people disappointed with Apple? It's Made in China.

John

Like I said, you have to chose your product and vendor wisely,
oh yes, there are good and bad vendors and factories in china, not all chinese stuff is junk

Re: disappointment rate
Do you have data on that, or is it just your biased opinion? Are people disappointed with Apple? It's Made in China.

John

My bias is based on experience purchasing consumer products. Apple must be present in their factories like a wet blanket. Surely you have heard about their food products that will poison your dog and kids, if you have any. Other products include toys with lead paint, dry wall with toxic amounts of sulfur, and, more recently, those two wheel balancing fireboards.

Ratch

Ratchit,

Try answering the question, rather changing the subject. I don't give a damn about dog food made in China. I asked simply for you to provide data to substantiate your claim(s).

John

Ratchit,

Try answering the question, rather changing the subject. I don't give a damn about dog food made in China. I asked simply for you to provide data to substantiate your claim(s).

John

I believe I did answer the question, but you ignored the reasons I gave. My personal experience in purchasing consumer goods is a datum to recognize. I also listed other exports from food to recreational items of dubiously quality. All those exports are widely known and documented as scandals involving cover-ups, regardless whether you care about them or not. However, just to prove that I am not the only one who experienced this proven fact, I submit below three links I easily found on the internet.

Ratch

https://www.economist.com/node/13642306
https://thediplomat.com/2015/07/how-made-in-china-became-a-stigma/
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back